April 22, 2006
Malibu, Calif. - The Pepperdine men's tennis team advanced to the final match of the West Coast Conference (WCC) Championships after defeating fourth-seeded San Francisco, 4-1, on Saturday afternoon at the Korth Tennis Complex on Saint Mary's campus in Moraga, Calif.
The Waves, who seek their 16th straight and 37th overall conference title, will face the winner of the No. 2-seed San Diego and No. 3-seed Santa Clara match on Sunday, April 23 at 3 p.m.
Due to weather conditions, the semifinal match kicked off with singles competition. No. 5 Scott Doerner defeated Matt Berry 6-2, 6-2, while No. 25 Pedro Rico put away Korbinian Kramer 6-3, 6-2. Richard Johnson and Omar Altmann also picked up wins in straight sets at courts five and six, respectively. Johnson defeated Greg Horn 6-1, 6-3, while Altmann handed Mitch Del Rosario a 7-6, 6-1 defeat.
The Dons picked up a point at court four where Fernando Rodriquez defeated Andre Begemann 6-2, 6-3.
Pepperdine 4, San Francisco 1
1. Scott Doerner (PEP) def. Matt Berry (USF) 6-2, 6-2
2. Pedro Rico (PEP) def. Korbinian Kramer (USF) 6-3, 6-2
3. Thong Tu (USF) vs. Ivor Lovrak (PEP) no result
4. Fernando Rodriguez (USF) def. Andre Begemann (PEP) 6-2, 6-3
5. Rich Johnson (PEP) def. Greg Horn (USF) 6-1, 6-3
6. Omar Altmann (PEP) def. Mitch Del Rosario (USF) 7-6, 6-1