April 22, 2006
NMoraga, Calif. - Sixth-seeded Loyola Marymount men's tennis advanced to the West Coast Conference consolation championship match with a 4-2 win over seventh-seeded Portland Saturday afternoon. The Lions will now play fifth-seeded Saint Mary's Sunday at 11:00 a.m. for fifth place.
The Lions started with singles play due to the forecast in the Northern California area.
Per WCC Championship rules, play concludes when a team clinches the fourth point. As result, the doubles competition was not needed after LMU clinched the 4-2 win with victories at No.2, No.3, No.4, and No.6.
After dropping the first set, Linas Cicenas battled back to take the next two to clinch the LMU win.
LMU now faces fifth-seeded Saint Mary's in the match for fifth place in the WCC. The teams will begin play at 11:00 a.m. Sunday. The two teams met earlier this month, with the Gaels edging the Lions 4-3.
Loyola Marymount 4, Portland 2
1. Matt Loucks (POR) def. Nico Terrien (LMU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Mike Wojnarowicz (LMU) def. James Redpath (POR) 7-6, 6-4
3. Reyniere Roxas (LMU) def. Scott Kennel (POR) 6-3, 7-5
4. Linas Cicenas (LMU) def. Joel Kincaid (POR) 1-6, 7-5, 7-6
5. Alex Strom (POR) def. Matt Phillips (LMU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Mike Chan (LMU) def. Carlo Machado (POR) 6-3, 6-3