April 23, 2006
Moraga, Calif. - Sixth-seeded Loyola Marymount dropped a 4-3 heartbreaker to fifth-seeded Saint Mary's Sunday in the consolation championship at the West Coast Conference Championships. The Gaels earned the nod for fifth place in the WCC after the doubles point determined the match, as the teams split 3-3 in singles play.
With wins at No.1 and No.2 doubles, Saint Mary's earned the extra point it needed. Carlos Malet and Matt Phillips put up a fight at No.2, pushing the Gaels to the 9-7 finish.
Sunday marked the second meeting of the season between the two teams, as Saint Mary's had previously topped LMU 4-3 at home earlier this month.
After starting the season 1-6, the Lions rebounded to win 12 of their final 17 regular season matches.
Saint Mary's College 4, Loyola Marymount 3
1. Nico Terrien (LMU) def. Martin Marechal (SMC) 6-1, 6-1
2. Mike Wojnarowicz (LMU) def. Julien Tizot (SMC) 6-3, 6-4
3. Adam Fauvre (SMC) def. Reyniere Roxas (LMU) 7-6, 6-3
4. Linas Cicenas (LMU) def. Yury Platonov (SMC) 6-3, 2-6, 7-6
5. Achim Christner (SMC) def. Matt Phillips (LMU) 6-2, 6-7, 6-3
6. Alp Ozpinar (SMC) def. Mike Chan (LMU) 6-2, 7-6
1. Achim Christner/Yury Platonov (SMC) def. Mike Wojnarowicz/Linas Cicenas (LMU) 8-4
2. Martin Marechal/Alp Ozpinar (SMC) def. Carlos Malet/Matt Phillips(LMU) 9-7
3. Nico Terrien/Mike Chan (LMU) def. Adam Fauvre/Tim Welty (SMC) 8-3