April 23, 2006
MORAGA, Calif. - The University of San Diego men's tennis team claimed second place in the West Coast Conference after a 4-1 loss at the hand's of the Pepperdine Waves. Jonas Mouly was the only Torero to be victorious in the singles ladder.
Pierrick Ysern's match versus Scott Doerner, ranked 5th nationally, at the No. 1 spot went unfinished as Pepperdine were able to claim the fourth and final point prior to the culmination of his match. Oscar Plotnik dropped his No. 2 singles match by scores of 6-3 in both sets and Mirza Koristovic and Ryo Sekiguchi likewise fell to their singles opponents. Jonas Mouly sailed past Omar Altmann and won 6-3, 6-4 at the No. 6 spot.
In doubles, Pepperdine was able to seal victories at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots, giving them the doubles point.
In other WCC Tournament action, San Francisco took third place with a 4-1 win over Santa Clara while Gonzaga fell to 8th place after dropping their consolation match to Portland. St. Mary's came in fifth in front of Loyola Marymount.
Pepperdine 4, San Diego 1
1. Pierrick Ysern (USD) vs. Scott Doerner (PEP) no result
2. Pedro Rico (PEP) def. Oscar Plotnik (USD) 6-3, 6-3
3. Thomas Liversage (USD) vs. Ivor Lovrak (PEP) no result
4. Kevin Borzenski (PEP) def. Mirza Koristovic (USD) 6-2, 6-3
5. Rich Johnson (PEP) def. Ryo Sekiguchi (USD) 6-3, 6-4
6. Jonas Mouly (USD) def. Omar Altmann (PEP) 6-3, 6-4
1. Pierrick Ysern/Oscar Plotnik (USD) vs. Scott Doerner/Kevin Borzenski (PEP) no result
2. Pedro Rico/Ivor Lovrak (PEP) def. Jonas Mouly/Mirza Koristovic (USD) 8-6
3. Omar Altmann/Rich Johnson (PEP) def. Thomas Liversage/Chris Coetzee (USD) 8-3