Nov. 10, 2006
Santa Barbara, Calif. - Loyola Marymount won nine of 12 matches against Cal Poly Friday, going 3-1 in doubles play and 6-2 in singles play at day one of the UC Santa Barbara Invitational. The Lions continue play Saturday morning against the defending Big West Conference Champion and host Gauchos.
"All four doubles teams competed very well today," LMU Head Coach Nik DeVore said.
"The two freshmen got us off to a good start with some solid doubles play," DeVore said. "They made very few mistakes and it paid off in the end."
Other highlights for the day came in singles play, where Nico Terrien topped Cal Poly's No.1 player Matt Baca 6-2,6-1.
Fellow senior Reyniere Roxas defeated Cal Poly's No.2 Kyle Roybal 6-0,6-1.
"Both Nico and Reynierewent out and took care of business today," DeVore said. "It was great to see our top twoguys dominate like that. It really set the tone for the day. From top tobottom, we competed very well. Not everyone played their best, but they lefteverything they had on the court, which is really all that we can ask."
Beginning at 9:00 a.m. Saturday, the Lions will battle the defending Big West Conference Champion and host Gauchos.
"We will have to really step things up for tomorrow's matches, as UCSB won the Big West Conference Championship last year and competed in the NCAA National Tournament," DeVore said.
UCSB INVITATIONAL DAY ONE RESULTS
1. Bocca/Raybal (CP) def. Perez/Phillips (LMU) 8-5
2. Terrien/Petrov (LMU) def. Young/Foy (CP) 8-5
3. Roxas/Von Der Ahe (LMU) def. Dewitte/Berger (CP) 9-7
4. Maggi/Popov (LMU) def. Meyerowitz/Nelson (CP) 8-4
1. Nico Terrien (LMU) def. Matt Bacca (CP) 6-2,6-1
2. Reyniere Roxas (LMU) def. Kyle Roybal (CP) 6-0-6-1
3. Nikola Petrov (LMU) def. Darren Young (CP) 7-5,7-6
4. Matt Phillips (LMU) def. Fred Dewitte (CP) 6-2,1-6,6-3
5. Rob Foy (CP) def. Nick Perez (LMU) 6-4,6-4
6. Renzo Maggi (LMU) def. Russ Meyerowitz (CP) 7-6,6-1
7. Nick Berger (CP) def. Nick Von Der Ahe (LMU 4-6,6-0,10-7
8. Dmitry Popov (LMU) def. Pat Nelson (CP) 6-4,6-0