March 29, 2007
BOISE, Idaho --- The Portland Pilots opened the Boise State Red Lion Spring Break Tournament with a 7-0 sweep of Idaho State before falling 7-0 to No. 60 Georgia State in the second round on Thursday. The Pilots (9-5) will continue on and face West Coast Conference rival San Francisco on Friday.
Portland, playing without senior captain Colby Jager (7-5 singles, 9-2 doubles), dominated the Bengals (0-7) in the early match. After sweeping doubles action for the initial point, the Pilots won all but No. 1 singles in straight sets. Freshman Filip Zivkovic came back to defeat Gal Horovits 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-5) to complete the sweep.
The late match was a different story as the shorthanded Pilots ran into a tough Georgia State squad. The Panthers (12-3) took two of three doubles matches to take the early lead. The UP tandem of Evan Schleining and Joel Kincaid pulled out an 8-4 win at No. 3 doubles, but that would be the lone victory of the match.
GSU cruised to straight set wins in all six singles matches and advanced to the semifinals of the tournament.
Following the Boise State Tournament the Pilots will conclude the regular season with road matches at Montana (April 13) and Eastern Washington (April 15) before traveling to the West Coast Conference Championships April 20-22 in San Diego, Calif.
Portland 7, Idaho State 0
March 29 at Boise, Idaho
1. Filip Zivkovic (POR) def. Gal Horovits (ISU), 4-6, 6-2, (10-5)
2. Alex Strom (POR) def. Masimba Ruwo (ISU), 6-1, 6-2
3. Joel Kincaid (POR) def. Jeremy Atkins (ISU), 6-4, 6-0
4. Charlie Yemm (POR) def. Ben Lockie (ISU), 6-1, 6-0
5. Evan Schleining (POR) def. Jordan Leask (ISU), 6-3, 6-1
6. Scott Kennel (POR) def. David Kutchins (ISU), 6-0, 6-0
1. Zivkovic/Kennel (POR) def. Horovits/Ruwo (ISU), 8-6
2. Strom/Yemm (POR) def. Lockie/Kutchins (ISU), 8-0
3. Schleining/Kincaid (POR) def. Atkins/Laesk (ISU), 8-4
No. 60 Georgia State 7, Portland 0
March 29 at Boise, Idaho
1. Martin Stiegwardt (GSU) def. Filip Zivkovic (POR), 6-2, 6-1
2. Nejc Podkrajsek (GSU) def. Alex Strom (POR), 7-6 (3), 6-3
3. Andres Arango (GSU) def. Joel Kincaid (POR), 6-3, 6-1
4. Mattias Skold (GSU) def. Charlie Yemm (POR), 6-1, 6-1
5. Anze Cevka (GSU) def. Evan Schleining (POR), 6-2, 6-0
6. Daniel Balog (GSU) def. Scott Kennel (POR), 6-3, 6-1
1. Stiegwardt/Skold (GSU) def. Zivkovic/Kennel (POR), 8-5
2. Podkrajsek/Cevka (GSU) def. Strom/Yemm (POR), 9-7
3. Schleining/Kincaid (POR) def. Arango/Alvarado (GSU), 8-4