March 30, 2007
BOISE, Idaho --- The Portland Pilots dealt West Coast Conference rival San Francisco a 5-2 loss Friday afternoon in the third round of the Boise State Red Lion Spring Break Tournament. The Pilots (10-5) move on and will conclude the tournament on Saturday at 1 p.m. against Sacramento State in the fifth place match of the 16-team event.
The win over USF (8-10) improves Portland's spring record against WCC competition to 3-1.
Portland again played without senior captain Colby Jager (7-5 singles, 9-2 doubles), but controlled the match from start to finish. After dropping the No. 1 doubles match, Alex Strom and Charlie Yemm won at No. 2 and Joel Kincaid and Evan Schleining secured the doubles point with a 9-7 win at No. 3. The tandem of Kincaid/Schleining is now 12-2 on the season.
USF again gained the early edge in singles play, as Matthew Barry defeated Pilot freshman Filip Zivkovic at No. 1 singles 6-2, 6-3.
The Pilots bounced back with close wins at No. 2 and No. 3. Strom won 6-2, 7-6 (7-4) at No. 2, while Kincaid defeated Thong Tu 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 at No. 3 to give UP a 3-1 edge. Yemm and Kennell each earned straight set wins at No. 4 and No. 6, respectively to cap the Pilots scoring.
Yemm is now 10-5 in dual singles play this spring.
Sacramento State's route to the fifth-place match included an opening round win over UC Santa Cruz, a loss to No. 19 Boise State, and third round victory over No. 62 Central Florida.
Following the Boise State Tournament the Pilots will conclude the regular season with road matches at Montana (April 13) and Eastern Washington (April 15) before traveling to the West Coast Conference Championships April 20-22 in San Diego, Calif.
Portland 5, San Francisco 2
March 30 at Boise, Idaho
1. Matthew Berry (USF) def. Filip Zivkovic (POR) 6-2, 6-3
2. Alex Strom (POR) def. Falko Huettenberger (USF) 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Joel Kincaid (POR) def. Thong Tu (USF) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
4. Charlie Yemm (POR) def. Rainer Nachbauer (USF) 6-3, 6-2
5. Asaf Cohen (USF) def. Evan Schleining (POR) 7-6 (10-8), 6-0
6. Scott Kennel (POR) def. Greg Hom (USF) 6-2, 6-4
1. Thong Tu/Matthew Berry (USF) def. Filip Zivkovic/Scott Kennel (POR) 8-2
2. Alex Strom/Charlie Yemm (POR) def. Torin Ching/Rainer Nachbauer (USF) 8-2
3. Joel Kincaid/Evan Schleining (POR) def. Falko Huettenberger/Asaf Cohen (USF) 9-7