April 2, 2007
BOISE, Idaho --- The Portland Pilots won the doubles point, but were swept in singles action and lost the fifth-place match of the Boise State Red Lion Spring Break Tournament to Sacramento State by a 6-1 margin on Saturday. Portland is now 10-6 overall, while the Hornets improved to 14-4 on the season.
The Pilots, as they have done most of the season, took the early lead by winning two of three doubles matches. Filip Zivkovic and Scott Kennel defeated Anton Stryhas and Gabriel Loredo 8-4 at No. 1, while Joel Kincaid and Evan Schleining improved to 13-2 in doubles action this year with an 8-6 win over Warwick Foy and Ramon Perez at No. 3
Singles action was all Hornets, who cruised to straight-set wins at all six positions. Senior Alex Strom forced a second set tiebreaker at No. 1 against Xavier Barajas-Smith, but fell 7-2.
The Pilots will conclude the regular season with road matches at Montana (April 13) and Eastern Washington (April 15) before traveling to the West Coast Conference Championships April 20-22 in San Diego, Calif.
Sacramento State 6, Portland 1
at Boise, Idaho
1. Xavier Barajas-Smith (SAC) def. Alex Strom (POR), 6-2, 7-6 (2)
2. Anton Stryhas (SAC) def. Filip Zivkovic (POR), 6-3, 6-4
3. Gabriel Loredo (SAC) def. Joel Kincaid (POR), 6-1, 6-2
4. Ramon Perez (SAC) def. Charlie Yemm (POR), 7-5, 6-1
5. Warwick Foy (SAC) def. Evan Schleining (POR), 7-5, 6-0
6. Tim Lantin (SAC) def. Scott Kennnel (POR), 7-5, 6-3
1. Filip Zivkovic/Scott Kennel (POR) def. Anton Stryhas/Gabriel Loredo (SAC), 8-4
2. Xavier Barajas-Smith/Hague Van Dillen (SAC) def. Alex Strom/Charlie Yemm (POR), 9-8 (5)
3. Joel Kincaid/Evan Schleining (POR) def. Warwick Foy/Ramon Perez (SAC), 8-6