April 21, 2006
Pepperdine - 5
Gonzaga - 0
Moraga, Calif. - The No. 1-seed Pepperdine men's tennis team opened play at the West Coast Conference (WCC) Championships hosted by Saint Mary's with a 5-0 win over eighth-seeded Gonzaga on Friday morning at the Korth Tennis Complex in Moraga, Calif.
With the win the No. 2 nationally ranked Waves (28-2) advanced to the semifinals where they will face fourth-seeded San Francisco on Saturday, April 22 at 1 p.m.
In doubles, No. 35 Pedro Rico and Ivor Lovrak defeated Marco Pineda and Brett Womack 8-2 at court one, while Scott Doerner teamed up with fellow senior teammate Kevin Borzenski to put away Reid Arthur and Charles Adams 8-5 to win the doubles point.
The Waves kept up the momentum in singles recording four victories on courts two through five. No. 25 Rico defeated Womack 6-1, 6-0 while Andre Begemann handed Cooper Fratt a 6-4, 6-2 defeat. Junior Richard Johnson logged his 16th singles victory after defeating Pineda 6-1, 6-1. Freshman Omar Altmann remained undefeated at No. 5 with a 7-0 record as he put away Adams 6-2, 6-2.
1. Reid Arthur (GON) vs. Scott Doerner (PEP) no result
2. Pedro Rico (PEP) def. Brett Womack (GON) 6-1, 6-0
3. Andre Begemann (PEP) def. Cooper Fratt (GON) 6-4, 6-2
4. Rich Johnson (PEP) def. Marco Pineda (GON) 6-1, 6-1
5. Omar Altmann (PEP) def. Charles Adams (GON) 6-2, 6-2
6. Robert Penny (GON) vs. Kevin Borzenski (PEP) no result
1. Pedro Rico/Ivor Lovrak (PEP) def. Marco Pineda/Brett Womack (GON) 8-2
2. Scott Doerner/Kevin Borzenski (PEP) def. Reid Arthur/Charles Adams (GON) 8-5
San Diego - 4
Portland - 0
MORAGA, Calif. - The University of San Diego men's tennis team will advance to Saturday's semifinal match of the 2006 West Coast Conference Championships. The Toreros defeated the Portland Pilots 4-0 Friday afternoon on the campus of St. Mary's in Moraga, Calif. The Toreros, seeded second in the tournament, finished the regular season ranked 34th in the nation with an overall record of 13-5. The Pilots were seeded seventh.
San Diego clinched their first point with two victories in the doubles ladder. Seniors Pierrick Ysern and Oscar Plotnik teamed up to take an 8-5 victory over Portland's Scott Kennel and James Redpath. Jonas Mouly and Mirza Koristovic defeated Matt Loucks and Joel Kincaid 9-8 to win the doubles point for USD.
In singles, No. 36 Pierrick Ysern easily defeated Portland's Loucks 6-3, 3-0 at the No. 1 spot. Ryo Sekiguchi's 6-0, 6-2 win over Alex Strom at No. 5 singles gave San Diego their third point and Jonas Mouly claimed the Torero victory at the No. 6 spot with a 6-2, 4-1 win over Carlo Machado.
San Diego will face either Santa Clara or Loyola Marymount Saturday at 3:00 p.m. in the semifinal match. In other tournament action, Pepperdine, ranked 5th nationally and seeded first, defeated Gonzaga 4-0 and San Francisco took a narrow 4-3 win over St. Mary's. For all the latest tournament action, updates, and scores, check www.usdtoreros.com.
San Diego 4, Portland 0
1. Pierrick Ysern (USD) def. Matt Loucks (POR) 6-3, 3-0
2. James Redpath (POR) vs. Oscar Plotnik (USD) no result
3. Scott Kennel (POR) vs. Thomas Liversage (USD) no result
4. Joel Kincaid (POR) vs. Mirza Koristovic (USD) no result
5. Ryo Sekiguchi (USD) def. Alex Strom (POR) 6-0, 6-2
6. Jonas Mouly (USD) def. Carlo Machado (POR) 6-2, 4-1
1. Pierrick Ysern/Oscar Plotnik (USD) def. Scott Kennel/James Redpath (POR) 8-5
2. Jonas Mouly/Mirza Koristovic (USD) def. Matt Loucks/Joel Kincaid (POR) 9-8
3. Alex Strom/Carlo Machado (POR) vs. Thomas Liversage/Chris Coetzee (USD) no result
Santa Clara - 4
Loyola Marymount - 0
Moraga, Calif. - The Santa Clara men's tennis team held up its seed this afternoon in the first round of the West Coast Conference Championships by beating sixth-seeded Loyola Marymount 4-0 in Moraga, Calif. Third-seeded Santa Clara was able to set a date with second-seeded San Diego tomorrow morning after easily handling the Lions line-ups in both singles and doubles.
"We played very solid tennis today in doubles and singles. That has given us the opportunity to move one step closer to the final," stated head coach George Husack. "San Diego is a very good team and we'll have to be at the top of our game again to secure a victory."
Santa Clara improves its record to 14-13 on the year, upping its conference record to 6-2, and will return to action tomorrow morning in the WCC Round of Four against San Diego. Game time is slated for 11 a.m.
The Broncos claimed the doubles point after taking two out of three contests to go up 1-0 early in the match. Kevin McQuaid and Blane Shields defeated Mike Wojnarowicz and Linas Cicena 8-5 at the No. 1 position, though Nico Terrien and Mike Chan beat Brian Brogan and Tommy Hicks 8-5 at the No. 3 spot to even things up. Jan Macek and Bobby Rasmussen put Santa Clara up 1-0 after taking out Carlos Malet and Matt Phillips 8-5 on Court 2.
After playing a solid round of doubles, the Broncos continued their excellent play in singles after winning the first three contests to secure a spot into the semifinals. A.J. Kerin was first off the court with a 6-2, 6-4 triumph over Mike Chan at the No. 6 spot and McQuaid made the score 3-0 after he took out Reyniere Roxas 6-3, 6-4. Rasmussen was able to clinch the dual match thanks to a relatively easy 6-1, 6-4 victory over Linas Cicenas. After reaching the necessary fourth point, all matches were abandonded.
Santa Clara 4, Loyola Marymount 0
Doubles (Santa Clara wins the doubles point)
1. Kevin McQuaid/Blane Shields (SCU) def. Mike Wojnarowicz/Linas Cicenas (LMU) 8-4
2. Jan Macek/Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Carlos Malet/Matt Phillips (LMU) 8-5
3. Nico Terrien/Mike Chan (LMU) def. Brian Brogan/Tommy Hicks (SCU) 8-5
1. Nico Terrien (LMU) vs. Jan Macek (SCU), DNF
2. Mike Wojnarowicz (LMU) vs. Brian Brogan (SCU), DNF
3. Kevin McQuaid (SCU) def. Reyniere Roxas (LMU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Linas Cicenas (LMU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Matt Phillips (LMU) vs. Tommy Hicks (SCU), DNF
6. A.J. Kerin (SCU) def. Mike Chan (LMU) 6-2, 6-4
San Francisco - 4
Saint Mary's - 3
USF swept the top four singles spots to earn a hard-fought 4-3 win over Saint Mary's in the first round of the WCC Championships Friday afternoon at Saint Mary's. The Dons will face top seed Pepperdine Saturday at 1:00 p.m. in the second round.
After dropping the doubles point, USF rallied behind singles wins by Matthew Berry over Martin Marechal (6-1, 6-3), by Falko Huettenberger over Julien Tizot, by Korbinian Kramer over Adam Fauvre (6-3, 6-2) and by Thong Tu over Yury Platanov (6-4, 6-4).
The Dons rallied from behind as trailing Saint Mary's 3-2 Tu rallied for his win before Huettenberger earned his three match triumph.
San Francisco - 4
Saint Mary's College - 3
1. Matt Berry (USF) def. Martin Marechal (SMC) 6-1, 6-3
2. Falko Huettenberger (USF) def. Julien Tizot (SMC) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
3. Korbinian Kramer (USF) def. Adam Fauvre (SMC) 6-3, 6-3
4. Thong Tu (USF) def. Yury Platonov (SMC) 6-4, 6-4
5. Achim Christner (SMC) def. Fernando Rodriguez (USF) 7-5, 6-2
6. Alp Ozpinar (SMC) def. Greg Horn (USF) 1-6, 6-1, 6-2
1. Julien Tizot/Martin Marechal (SMC) def. Matt Berry/Korbinian Kramer (USF) 8-4
2. Achim Christner/Yury Platonov (SMC) def. Greg Horn/Fernando Rodriguez (USF) 8-43. Falko Huettenberger/Thong Tu (USF) def. Adam Fauvre/Tim Welty (SMC) 8-2