April 25, 2014
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The top two seeds in the 2014 West Coast Conference Men’s Tennis Championships advanced to Saturday’s title match after posting 4-2 semifinal victories. No. 1 San Diego marched to the finals dispatching No. 4 Santa Clara, while No. 2 Pepperdine downed upstart Pacific on a windy Friday morning at the Barnes Tennis Center.
Saturday’s final will be the rubber match of the season series between San Diego and Pepperdine. The Waves topped the Toreros 4-1 back in a nonconference meeting in January. USD returned the favor last week Wednesday, downing Pepperdine 4-2 in the regular season finale to finish in first place in the WCC standings.
For complete coverage of the 2014 WCC Men’s Tennis Championship match, scheduled for a 9:00 a.m. first serve from the Barnes Tennis Center, click the Tournament Central link at the top of the page to access live scoring and post match interviews and highlights from TheW.tv.
NO. 2 PEPPERDINE 4, NO. 7 PACIFIC 2
Although the #51-ranked Pepperdine men’s tennis team got off to a rocky start vs. Pacific in the semifinals of the West Coast Conference Tournament, the Waves prevailed in singles and won 4-2. Senior Francis Alcantara provided the clincher, sending his team into the finals with his 6-4 triumph in the third set.
David Sofaer and Pedro Leme put an 8-3 win away in doubles to get the Waves started, but the Tigers would deny Pepperdine the point with victories at No. 1 and No. 2.Pacific continued to challenge the Waves in singles, but ultimately Pepperdine gained the upper hand and claimed the first set on five of the six courts.
Stefan Menichella posted the first point of the day for the Waves, topping Daniel Alameh 6-3, 6-3 at No. 4. Pepperdine took a 2-1 lead after Alex Sarkissian defeated Sem Verbeek for the second time this season in straight sets.
#51 Pepperdine 4, Pacific 2
1. Marlon Brand/Daniel Alameh (PAC) def. #14 Alex Sarkissian/Francis Alcantara (PEP) 8-7 (7-2)
2. Denis Stolyarov/Sem Verbeek (PAC) def. Tom Hill/Rakshay Thakkar (PEP) 8-3
3. David Sofaer/Pedro Leme (PEP) def. Miguel Diaz/Alex Hamilton (PAC) 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. #31 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. Sem Verbeek (PAC) 6-4, 6-3
2. Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Denis Stolyarov (PAC) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
3. David Sofaer (PEP) def. Miguel Diaz (PAC) 7-5, 7-5
4. Stefan Menichella (PEP) def. Daniel Alameh (PAC) 6-3, 6-3
5. Marlon Brand (PAC) def. Rakshay Thakkar (PEP) 6-4, 6-4
6. Pedro Leme (PEP) vs. Ben Mirkin (PAC) 6-4, 6-7 (7-9), unfinished
NO. 1 SAN DIEGO 4, NO. 4 SANTA CLARA 2
The No. 44 University of San Diego men's tennis team (16-7) prevailed over No. 4 seeded Santa Clara (17-7) Friday morning to advance to the finals of the West Coast Conference Championships. Although the Broncos battled, the Toreros secured the win 4-2 after a crucial doubles point and a clutch three-set victory by senior Clarke Spinosa.
No. 38 Spinosa and freshman Filip Vittek stormed out the gate with plenty of energy. The tandem won their eighth match in a row after taking down Broncos' John Lamble and Ilya Osintsev 8-4. Sophomores Uros Petronijevic and Romain Kalaydjian quickly followed defeating Ashot Khacharyan and Mikheil Khmiadashvili by 8-4 as well.
In singles, the Broncos stayed tough picking up points at both the No. 6 and 3 spots. Santa Clara's Michael Tjuajadarma knocked off junior Andrew Raphaelson 6-2, 6-2, while Ashot Khacharyan defeated Vittek 6-3, 6-3. Those two wins would be the last points for the Broncos.
Junior Ciaran Fitzgerald continued his impressive performance in singles to get the Toreros back on track. Fitzgerald, currently on a seven-match winning streak, defeated Bronco's Sam Bertram 6-4, 6-1. Kalaydjian followed, edging out Broncos' Mikheil Khmiadashvili 6-2, 7-6 (2).
San Diego 4, Santa Clara 2
1. #38 Clarke Spinosa/Filip Vittek (USD) def. John Lamble/Ilya Osintsev (SCU) 8-4
2. Uros Petronijevic/Romain Kalaydjian (USD) def. Ashot Khacharyan/Mikheil Khmiadashvili (SCU) 8-4
3. Sam Bertram/Michael Tjuatjadarma (SCU) vs. Ciaran Fitzgerald/Andrew Raphaelson (USD) 6-2 DNF
Order of finish: 1, 2
1. #53 Clarke Spinosa (USD) def. John Lamble (SCU) 6-1, 1-6, 6-0
2. Uros Petronijevic (USD) vs. Ilya Osintsev (SCU) 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 DNF
3. Ashot Khacharyan (SCU) def. Filip Vittek (USD) 6-3, 6-3
4. Romain Kalaydjian (USD) def. Mikheil Khmiadashvili (SCU) 6-2, 7-6(2)
5. Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) def. Sam Bertram (SCU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Michael Tjuajadarma (SCU) def. Andrew Raphaelson (USD) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 3, 5, 4, 1
From PepperdineSports.com and USDToreros.com