April 27, 2013
SAN DIEGO, Calif. --- The 2013 WCC Men's Tennis Championship concluded this afternoon as No. 1 Pepperdine claimed its second consecutive WCC Championship title over No. 2 BYU. The Waves began the day with a convincing 8-1 win by Finn Tearney and Alex Sarkissian at No. 2 doubles and a gritty 8-6 win by Mousheg Hovhannisyan and David Sofaer at the No. 3 position to clinch the doubles point. Pepperdine's Sebastian Fanselow and Francis Alcantara were in the midst of a thrilling match, leading 7-6, against BYU's Patrick Kawka and Francis Sargeant when the match went unfinished.
As the match moved to singles, the Waves continued to cruise as Finn Tearney posted a straight set 6-2, 6-1 victory at No. 2 singles over BYU's Spencer Smith. Pepperdine's Alex Sarkissian continued the winning trend with a 7-6 (1), 6-3 victory at the No. 3 position over Francis Sargeant. However, BYU had plenty of fight left, as the Cougars' Patrick Kawka knocked off Pepperdine's Sebastian Fanselow at No. 1 singles in a dogfight of a match, ultimately winning by a score of 7-6 (5), 7-6 (1). Keaton Cullimore registered BYU's second point with another close victory, pulling out the win over Francis Alcantara at No. 3 singles in straight sets (7-6 (5), 7-5). BYU's John Pearce also joined in with a gutsy 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 victory at No. 6 to earn the Cougars' third point of the team match.
With both teams tied at 3-3, Pepperdine looked to the No. 5 singles position and Mousheg Hovhannisyan to clinch the remaining point needed to claim the Championship. Hovhannisyan delivered with an exciting three-set triumph over BYU's Andrey Goryachkov. After dominating the first set by a score of 6-1, Hovhannisyan dropped the second set 2-6, but he certainly was not finished as he came charging back with a third set win in tiebreaker fashion to claim the match. Hovhannisyan's win clinched Pepperdine's second straight WCC Championship title and the program's 40th overall Championship.
Match #8 No. 1 Pepperdine def. No. 2 BYU 4-3
No. 1 Pepperdine def. No. 2 BYU 4-3
1. Sebastian Fanselow/Francis Alcantara (PEP) led Patrick Kawka/Francis Sargeant (BYU), 7-6 (DNF)
2. Finn Tearney/Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. Spencer Smith/Andrey Goryachkov (BYU), 8-1
3. Mousheg Movhannisyan/David Sofaer (PEP) def. John Pearce/Keaton Cullimore (BYU), 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1. Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. Sebastian Fanselow (PEP), 7-6 (5), 7-6 (1)
2. Finn Tearney (PEP) def. Spencer Smith (BYU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. Francis Sargeant (BYU), 7-6 (1), 6-3
4. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) def. Francis Alcantara (PEP), 7-6 (5), 7-5
5. Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) def. Andrey Goryachkov (BYU), 6-1, 2-6, 7-6 (2)
6. John Pearce (BYU) def. David Sofaer (PEP), 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1, 4, 6, 5