May 9, 2009
PALO ALTO, Calif. - Freshman Alex Llompart clinched the match for the No. 17 Pepperdine men's tennis team over No. 40 California on Friday . The victory sends the Waves to tomorrow's second round against No. 9 Stanford.
The Waves took an early lead by winning the doubles point with victories on courts 1 and 2. Mahmoud Kamel and Hugh Clarke (PEP) defeated Bozhidar Katsarov and Eon Heavey (CAL) 8-3 on court 2 to finish first. No. 8 nationally ranked Omar Altmann and Bassam Beidas clinched the doubles point with their victory over No. 19 Geoff Chizever and Pedro Zerbini (CAL) 8-3, on the No. 1 court.
In the singles competition, No. 44 Altmann finished first with a decisive 6-0, 6-0, straight set win over Eoin Heavey (CAL), on court 2. Pepperdine had a 2-0 lead when Kamel (PEP) defeated Katsarov (CAL), 6-1, 6-4, on court 3 to put the Waves within one-point of the team win. While No. 35 Beidas and No. 58 Zerbini were battling it out on court 1, No. 120 Llompart (PEP) took care of business on court 3 with a 6-4, 7-5, win over Richard Andrews (CAL) to clinch the match.
The No. 9 Cardinal defeated Sacramento 4-1 on Friday afternoon to advance to the second round.
The Waves will play Stanford at 3 p.m. on Saturday, May 9th at the Taube Family Tennis Center. The winner of the match will advance to the NCAA Division I field of sixteen team championship on May 14-25.
Tennis Match Results
California vs Pepperdine
May 08, 2009 at #17 Pepperdine 4, #40 California 1
1. #35 Bassam Beidas (PEP) vs. #58 Pedro Zerbini (CAL) 7-6, unfinished
2. #44 Omar Altmann (PEP) def. Eoin Heavey (CAL) 6-0, 6-0
3. #120 Alex Llompart (PEP) def. Richard Andrews (CAL) 6-4, 7-5
4. Mahmoud Kamel (PEP) def. Bozhidar Katsarov (CAL) 6-1, 6-4
5. Thai Tu (CAL) def. Alejandro Moreno (PEP) 6-2, 6-1
6. Jenson Turner (PEP) vs. Jonathan Dahan (CAL) 7-6, unfinished
1. #8 Bassam Beidas/Omar Altmann (PEP) def. #19 Geoff Chizever/Pedro Zerbini (CAL) 8-5
2. Mahmoud Kamel/Hugh Clarke (PEP) def. Bozhidar Katsarov/Eoin Heavey (CAL) 8-3
3. Thai Tu/Nick Andrews (CAL) def. Stuart Keplar/Alex Llompart (PEP) 6-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (2,4,5,3)