(Courtesy of Pepperdine Media Relations)
WINSTON SALEM, N.C.-After upsetting No. 22 Florida in the first round of the NCAA Tournament yesterday, No. 39 Pepperdine men's tennis team was unable to replicate the magic today in round two. No. 12 Wake Forest won 4-0 to end the Waves' season.
Pepperdine concludes its first campaign under first-year head coach Marcelo Ferreira with an 18-10 record.
The Demon Deacons move to 24-7 on the year, marking the most wins by any team in their program's history.
Wake Forest overpowered the Waves in doubles play to take the early lead. Although Pepperdine's strength has been in singles this season, the Demon Deacons continued to push forward and won first sets on all six singles courts.
With two top-20 ranked players in its singles lineup, Wake Forest put the dual away with straight-set decisions at No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3.
Skander Mansouri got the better of Stefan Menichella (Santa Barbara, Calif./University HS) at No. 3, winning 6-4, 6-2.
#6-ranked Noah Rubin won the first set 6-1 against Guilherme Hadlich (Balneário Camboriú, Brazil/Colégio Energia), and held off the Wave in set two by a 6-4 tally.
Rakshay Thakkar (Pune, India/St. Vincent's High School) suffered a similar fate against #16 Romain Bogaerts to put an end to the day.
Freshman Pedro Iamachkine (Lima, Peru/Nebraska HS), who ends his rookie year with a team-best 19-8 record, lost his first frame in the tiebreaker but was up 5-1 against Christian Seraphim in set two when the dual was clinched.
The Waves will return nearly its entire squad next season, with the exception of graduating seniors Thakkar and Kento Tanaka-Tamaki (Kihei, Hawaii/St. Anthony Junior-Senior HS).
#12 Wake Forest 4, #39 Pepperdine 0
1. #6 Noah Rubin (WF) def. Guilherme Hadlich (PEP) 6-1, 6-4
2. #16 Romain Bogaerts (WF) def. Rakshay Thakkar (PEP) 6-1, 6-4
3. Skander Mansouri (WF) def. Stefan Menichella (PEP) 6-4, 6-2
4. Christian Seraphim (WF) vs. Pedro Iamachkine (PEP) 7-6 (7-2), 1-5, unfinished
5. Keivon Tabrizi (WF) vs. Lautaro Pane (PEP) 6-2, 3-4, unfinished
6. Maksim Kan (WF) vs. Tom Hill (PEP) 6-4, 2-2, unfinished
1. #13 Christian Seraphim/Skander Mansouri (WF) vs. Guilherme Hadlich/Rakshay Thakkar (PEP) 7-3, unfinished
2. Jon Ho/Noah Rubin (WF) def. Lautaro Pane/Pedro Iamachkine (PEP) 8-2
3. Sam Bloom/Keivon Tabrizi (WF) def. Stefan Menichella/Tom Hill (PEP) 8-2
Pepperdine 18-10; National ranking #39
Wake Forest 24-7; National ranking #12
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (3,1,2)