May 9, 2009
PALO ALTO, Calif. - The No. 17 nationally ranked Pepperdine men's tennis team ended its season Saturday with a 4-1 loss to No. 9 Stanford in the second round of NCAAs.
The Waves (20-10) loss the doubles point to the Cardinal after suffering losses on courts 2 and 3. No. 8 ranked Omar Altmann and Bassam Beidas (PEP) did not complete their match against No. 28 Ryan Thacher and Bradley Klahn (STAN) as the doubles point was determined when court 3 finished.
In singles, Stanford jumped to a 2-0 lead when Richard Wire (STAN) defeated Alejandro Moreno (PEP) 6-3, 6-2. No. 44 Altmann answered back on court 2 with a straight set upset over No. 34 Bradley Khan (STAN), 6-3, 6-3, to give the Waves their first point at 2-1. Court 6 was next to finish with Blake Muller (STAN) defeating Hugh Clarke (PEP) 6-3, 7-5. Stanford was one point away from a trip to Texas A&M for the NCAA Championships.
Pepperdine's three remaining players fought valiantly on courts 1, 3 and 4. No. 35 Beidas (PEP) spilt sets on court 1 with No. 21 Alex Clayton (STAN) and was tied 1-1 in their third set. On court 4, Mahmoud Kamel (PEP) was coming back from a 7-6 first set lost to Matt Bruch (STAN) and was up 4-3 in the second set. Meanwhile, on court 3 Alex Llompart (PEP) was also rebounding from a first set loss to Thacher (STAN) and was in a tiebreaker in the second set. Thacher captured the first four points while Llompart struggled to make up the deficit; however Thacher prevailed and clinched the match for the Cardinal.
Altmann and Beidas will continue their season with an automatic qualification in both singles and doubles at the NCAA Div. I Championships at Texas A&M on May 20-25.
May 9, 2009 - Stanford Calif.NCAA Men's Tennis Championship - Second RoundNo. 9 Stanford 4, Pepperdine 1
1) No. 28 Thacher/Klahn (STAN) led No. 8 Altmann/Beidas (PEPP) 5-5, aban.
2) No. 40 Wire/Muller (STAN) d. Kamel/Clarke (PEPP) 8-3
3) Bruch/Kelly (STAN) d. Llompart/Keplar (PEPP) 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1) No. 21 Alex Clayton (STAN) drew with No. 35 Bassam Beidas (PEPP) 4-6, 6-3, 1-1, aban.
2) No. 44 Omar Altmann (PEPP) d. No. 34 Bradley Khan(STAN) 6-3, 6-3
3) Ryan Thacher (STAN) d. No. 120 Alex Llompart (PEPP) 6-2, 7-6(2)*
4) Matt Bruch (STAN) led Mahmoud Kamel (PEPP) 7-6, 3-4, aban.
5) Richard Wire (STAN) d. Alex Moreno (PEPP) 6-3, 6-2
6) Blake Muller (STAN) d. Hugh Clarke (PEPP) 6-3, 7-5
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 6, 3
* denotes clinching match