May 11, 2013
NCAA men's tennis championship play continued Saturday, with Pepperdine and San Diego representing the WCC. The Waves rolled against visitor LSU, while San Diego ultimately fell to three-time defending NCAA Champion USC.
The No. 12 Pepperdine men's tennis team is one of 16 teams left in the NCAA Tournament after blanking No. 20 LSU 4-0 on the courts of the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center in Malibu, Calif. The Waves will travel to the Khan Tennis Complex on the campus of the University of Illinois where the remainder of the championships will play out.
Pepperdine's (26-5) road to the championship began yesterday with a 4-0 win vs. UC Santa Barbara. The Waves left nothing to chance this afternoon, shutting out the Tigers 4-0 after LSU had edged No. 40 Stanford 4-2 in the first round.
The Waves will face No. 32 Memphis in the round of 16 on Thursday, May 16. The Tigers shutout BYU in the first round before upsetting No. 7 Ole Miss in Oxford, Miss. 4-2 in round two.
Meanwhile, the University of San Diego men's tennis team's season came to an end Saturday evening when they fell to No. 4 USC 4-1 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
The Toreros knocked off No. 29 Alabama 4-3 a day earlier to advance to the second round for the third straight season, but the four-time defending national champion Trojans proved to be too much.
The Toreros, who finish the season with an 18-10 record, will return everyone next season except for senior captain Thibaut Visy.
No. 12 Pepperdine def. No. 20 LSU 4-0
1. #11 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. #42 Chris Simpson (LSU) 6-0, 6-3
2. #62 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) vs. #91 Stefan Szacinski (LSU) 6-2, 5-5, unfinished
3. #107 Finn Tearney (PEP) vs. Olivier Borsos (LSU) 6-2, 2-1, unfinished
4. #102 Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Mark Bowtell (LSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) vs. Tam Trinh (LSU) 3-6, 2-3, unfinished
6. David Sofaer (PEP) def. Harrison Kennedy (LSU) 6-2, 6-1
1. Francis Alcantara/Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. #31 Stefan Szacinski/Tam Trinh (LSU) 8-3
2. Finn Tearney/Alex Sarkissian (PEP) vs. Olivier Borsos/Roger Anderson (LSU) 4-7, unfinished
3. David Sofaer/Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) def. Boris Arias/Chris Simpson (LSU) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,6,4)
No. 4 USC def. No. 44 San Diego 4-1
1. #7 Gomez (USC) vs. Visy (USD) 6-4, 5-6, unfinished
2. #95 Spinosa (USD) def. #16 Sarmiento (USD) 0-6, 6-1, 6-1
3. #45 Hanfmann (USC) def. Kalaydjian (USD) 6-1, 6-2
4. #36 Quiroz (USC) def. Petronijevic (USD) 6-4, 6-1
5. #90 Johnson (USC) def. Pugliese (USD) 6-3, 6-3
6. #98 Wang (USC) vs. Fitzgerald (USD) 5-7, 6-2, 1-1, unfinished
1. #37 Hanfmann/Sarmiento (USC) def. Visy/Spinosa (USD) 8-4
2. De Vroome/Johnson (USC) vs. Fitzgerald/Petronijevic (USD) 7-5, unfinished
3. Gomez/Grant (USC) def. Kalaydjian/Pugliese (USD) 8-2
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,1) Singles (3,4,2,5)
Courtesy of Pepperdine and San Diego Athletics.