{{ article.title }}

Down by 21, Pepperdine Rallies before Falling to LMU in OT

March 3, 2007

MALIBU, Calif. - Teiosha George gave Pepperdine a three-point lead with 1:44 remaining in regulation but the Waves went scoreless the remainder of the half and hit just one field goal in the overtime before falling 64-61 to the Loyola Marymount Lions in the semifinals of West Coast Conference Tournament in Portland, Ore.

George scored 14 points on the day, including the last nine for Pepperdine (14-17) which has now dropped three straight to its cross-town rival for the first time since dropping four straight during the 1987-89 seasons.

Daphanie Kennedy also had 14 for the Waves, while Shannon Johnson added 10. Teena Wickett pulled down a game-high 14 rebounds.

Amanda Patton led all players with 15 point for Loyola Marymount, while Ashlee Dunlap and Valerie Ogoke added 11 and 10, respectively. Dunlap had a team-high 11 boards.

Pepperdine went 1-for-5 in the extra frame, turning the ball over on each of its last two possessions.

LMU did not fair much better offensively in the overtime, going just 1-for-6 from the floor and making 5-of-10 free throws. Pepperdine's George made all three attempts for the Waves from the stripe.

"We had been 3-0 in overtimes, so we felt good going in - very confident," noted Julie Rousseau. "Too many turnovers hurt us, and I think that with a few less mistakes the game could have been won."

After falling behind by as many as 21 in the first half, Pepperdine would not cut the lead down to single digits until a Johnson jumper with under 10 minutes remaining in regulation made the score 47-39. Johnson's bucket was the second of a 15-2 run over a six minute span that gave the Waves their first lead of the game, 50-49.

Amanda DeCoud's two free throws ended the run and Cassady Moore's layup with 3:29 to play put LMU up by three. Pepperdine responded with six unanswered points to take its largest lead of the afternoon, 56-53.

Dunlap's layup brought the Lions within one with 1:28 left on the clock and DeCoud hit the first of two free throws to tie the game as Pepperdine only got off one shot and turned the ball over twice during the final 1:44 of the second period.

LMU had three chances to end the game in regulation. DeCoud's missed second free throw, a missed layup on a two-on-none fast break and a three-point try at the buzzer.

Pepperdine opened the game 0-for-9 shooting and trailed 8-0 before Miranda Ayim's layup got the Waves on the board at the 14:16 mark. It would take three and a half minutes for Johnson to score Pepperdine's next points. The drought continued as Loyola Marymount built up a 21-point 25-4 lead with 7:32 remaining in the opening half.

The Waves closed out the half with a 16-8 run and trailed by just 15, 33-18, at the half.

The loss ends Pepperdine's season, while LMU will face the winner of the Gonzaga vs. San Francisco semifinal game later today.