{{ article.title }}

Women's Soccer Plays Vermont to 1-1 Draw

Sept. 7, 2007

Box Score

Moraga, CA - In the opening round of the 2007 Saint Mary's College Fall Soccer Classic, the Saint Mary's women's soccer team played the Vermont Catamounts to a 1-1 tie on Friday evening from Saint Mary's Stadium. With the result, Saint Mary's is now 1-0-2 on the year and Vermont is now 1-1-1 overall.

Saint Mary's played Vermont to a 1-1 tie, but the Gaels feel like they should have won the game. SMC finished the game with 25 total shots, with 18 coming in regulation. In the second overtime period, Saint Mary's put a lot of pressure on the Vermont goalkeeper, firing seven shots in the final 10 minutes of the game.

Saint Mary's took a 1-1 lead when Allie Weiner found the back of the net in the e 39th minute of action. Weiner took a pass from Marina Baham, and from the right corner of the penalty box, she one-timed a shot over the out stretched arms of Vermont goalkeeper Eliza Bradley.

The Gaels would hold a 1-0 advantage until the 76th minute, when Vermont reserve midfielder Eileen Cirilli scored an unassisted goal. Cirilli collected a loose ball and hit a high looping shot over SMC goalkeeper Tara Larson from 20 yards out.

After the goal by Cirilli, Larson, who finished the game with seven saves, produced three outstanding saves to help the Gaels post the tie. With the game tied 1-1, Larson made two huge saves on back-to-back Vermont shots. She jumped to get a hand on a shot by Jessica Becker, and when the ball bounced of the post, she made a diving save on the ensuing shot by Susie Cirilli. Larson's last save of the game came on a Kaitlin Francis shot at the 97:48 mark as she knocked the ball over the crossbar to keep the game tied.

Vermont goalkeeper Eliza Bradley was big in net for the Catamounts, as she collected 17 saves. Bradley's biggest save came with 41 seconds left in the second overtime when she made a diving stop on a shot by Alex Ciliento from less than five yards out.

In the first game of the tournament between Cal State Bakersfield and California, the Golden Bears defeated the Roadrunners 3-0 from Saint Mary's Stadium. Cal held a 1-0 lead at halftime then added two goals over the final 45 minutes to post an easy win over CS Bakersfield. California out shot the Roadrunners 13-0 for the game.

The tournament will conclude on Sunday with a double-header beginning at noon in Saint Mary's Stadium. California will take on Vermont in the first game and then Saint Mary's and CS Bakersfield will play the final game of the tournament at 2:30 p.m.