{{ article.title }}

WCC Women's Soccer Recaps

Oct. 13, 2006

Portland - 1
San Francisco - 1

Portland, OR - Friday the 13th wasn't so unlucky for San Francisco women's soccer as they took No. 4 Portland to a 1-1 double overtime tie in West Coast Conference action. The tie is the Dons (4-9-2, 0-1-1 WCC) first ever against the Pilots (11-2-2, 1-0-1 WCC), and first non-loss in 19 meetings.

Portland got on the board first, just minutes before the first half buzzer. At 43:38, freshman forward Michelle Enyeart (12) scored from eight yards out off a low cross from freshman forward Kendra Chandhoke, who was fed from senior midfielder Lisa Sari.

USF returned the favor in the second half, when at 68:40, freshman forward Samantha Brand scored her first collegiate goal, an unassisted shot into the upper left hand corner from 15 yards out. Senior forward Chelsea Hunt had five shots in the match, while junior midfielder Lauren Tweet had two. Also shooting for the goal were freshman forward Kristina Hall, sophomore midfielder Katherine Kimure and sophomore Alexis Mielke.

Dons sophomore goalie Katie Hodgson played all 110 minutes in between the posts and recorded 10 saves. Pilots' senior goalkeeper Cori Alexander also played the full 110 minutes and had two saves on the day. Portland out shot USF 27-11 and also held the advantage in corner kicks, 8-4.

USF returns to action on Sunday, October 15 against Gonzaga in Spokane, WA. Kickoff is set for 11:00 AM.

Loyola Marymount - 1
Santa Clara - 1

Los Angeles, CA - In a battle of two ranked West Coast Conference teams, #21 Loyola Marymount outshot #3 Santa Clara 25-12, but the Lions had to settle for a 1-1 tie in women's soccer action this afternoon at Sullivan Field. The Broncos took a quick lead in the 6th minute but LMU answered right back with a goal in the 7th minute. The Lions had several dangerous opportunities, but could not find the back of the net for the rest of the game and the two teams finished with a tie. LMU remains undefeated at home with its second WCC tie of the season, and is now 7-1-4 overall. Santa Clara moves to 11-2-1 with its first tie of the year.

Santa Clara got off to a quick start. A shot by Amanda Poach in the third minute forced Joslyn Slovek to make her first of five saves in the game, but she wouldn't get so lucky on the next SCU shot. Chioma Igwe found Meagan Snell six yards out at the far post, and fed her a perfect ball. Snell, the Broncos' leading scorer, touched it past Slovek to give Santa Clara the lead at 5:26.

But LMU answered right back. After earning a throw in deep in Santa Clara territory, Alicia Lloyd tossed the ball to the head of Tiffany Harrison. The freshman flicked the ball back to a waiting Jamie Bell, who blasted the ball with her head into the goal to tie the game at 1-1 at 6:46. Bell's goal is the first goal that Santa Clara has allowed in seven games, dating back to its 1-0 loss against Boston University on September 15th. SCU had outscored its opponents 16-0 during the last six games, which included wins over four ranked opponents.

The goal brought LMU back to life, and the Lions outplayed Santa Clara the rest of the way. The Lions outshot SCU 12-5 in the first half with a 6-4 shots on goal advantage. The strong play continued in the second half, with LMU outshooting the Broncos 9-5 in the period. The Lions had several dangerous opportunities, with forwards Bell and Katrina Chong giving the Lion fans an offensive show. But several of LMU's most dangerous opportunities just went wide of the net.

Santa Clara nearly took the lead in the 65th minute when Poach headed a ball to the upper corner of the net. Slovek used every inch of her 6-0 frame to leap up and barely knock the ball over the crossbar and keep the game tied.

The Lions controlled play in the first overtime period with Chong nearly ending the game. She broke free from the Bronco defense and had a one-on-one with SCU goalkeeper Meagan McCray. Her shot to the far post went just wide and the game continued.

Santa Clara took the only two shots of the second overtime period, but neither shot was on frame, and the two teams finished with a 1-1 tie after 110 minutes of soccer.

For the game, LMU outshot SCU 25-12, including an 11-6 shots on goal advantage. Bell led all players with eight shots, including LMU's goal. Whitney Temple added five shots, including two on goal. Poach led SCU with four shots.

Meagan McCray finished with 10 saves on the day, while Slovek stopped five shots.

The Lions move to 0-0-2 in WCC action but have really been strong offensively. LMU has outshot its opponents 49-21 in those two games. Santa Clara settles for its first tie of the season and is now 1-0-1 in WCC action.

LMU looks to pick up its first conference win and remain undefeated at home when it hosts San Diego on Sunday afternoon at 1:00pm. The Toreros lost to Pepperdine 2-1 this afternoon, giving up the game winning goal with two minutes remaining in the second overtime period.

Gonzaga - 1
Saint Mary's - 0

Spokane, Wash. - Nanda McCormick scored her third goal of the season as the Gonzaga University women's soccer team shutout Saint Mary's College 1-0 Friday afternoon at Martin Field.

The win marked the first West Coast Conference victory of the season for the Zags who improved to 1-0-0 in conference play and 7-6-1 overall. The Gaels fell to 1-1-0 against WCC opponents and 3-9-2 overall.

The lone goal of the match came at the 77:19 mark when McCormick took a cross from the far right corner from Beth Drollinger. The cross pulled SMC goalkeeper Jennifer Zenovich out of the net, allowing McCormick to poke the ball in past Zenovich. The goal was McCormick's second game-winning goal of the season, giving her a team-leading eight total points.

Gonzaga rookie goalkeeper Jessie Thalman recorded her fourth shutout of the season while earning two saves. With her fourth shutout of the season, Thalman moves into sole possession of third place in the Bulldog record books with four career saves.

The Zags' defense remained strong Friday, holding Saint Mary's to only four shots, two on goal. Gonzaga posted 11 shots, including holding a 5-1 advantage in the first half. GU also held the advantage on corner kicks, 6-1.

The Bulldogs will hit the pitch again Sunday when they host San Francisco at Martin Field. The match is scheduled for an 11 a.m. start and will be the first game of a double header with the Gonzaga men's soccer team. The men's team will host the University of Portland at 2 p.m.

Pepperdine - 2
San Diego - 1

Malibu, Calif. - Amanda Rupp's goal in the second overtime period lifted the Pepperdine women's soccer team past San Diego for a 2-1 come-from-behind victory in a West Coast Conference (WCC) match on Friday afternoon at Tari Frahm Rokus Field in Malibu, Calif. With the win, the Waves improved to 7-4-3 overall and remain unbeaten in conference with a 1-0-1 record.

After playing the ball back and forth for much of the first period, the Toreros (8-6-0, 0-2-0 WCC) opened the scoring with a goal from Hallie Huston at the 30:04 mark. Pepperdine attempted to even the score as they saw opportunities on back-to-back corner kicks, but would begin the second period trailing by one goal.

The home team responded in the second 45 minutes as it bombarded San Diego with shots. As a sea of white jerseys stood in front of the Torero box after a corner kick, it was only a matter of time before a Wave would find the back of the net. Ashley Copp got her foot on the ball and at the 49:25 mark, the sophomore knocked in the game-tying goal. Freshman Alexis Farler was credited with the assist.

San Diego quickly found its tempo again as it was determined to challenge the home team, but goalkeeper Kayla Stolte came up with several significant saves to keep the score even and send the match into overtime.

The Waves have experienced some overtime woes, but the home team bounced back as it controlled the majority of play. Just when the match looked like it would end in a tie, freshman Sophia Medina dribbled the ball into the center to draw San Diego goalie Karen Cook out of the net. Medina found Rupp nearby who sent the ball into the corner of the net for the game-winning goal.

Midfielder Emily Wynne led all players with four shots, while Farler added three shots.

Stolte recorded fives saves in the match.

"This was a pivotal win for the program," said head coach Tim Ward. "We're really proud of this team and to come from behind against a very good San Diego team is great. The response our team had was excellent and this win has really lifted our spirits," stated Ward.

Pepperdine continues WCC action as it hosts No. 3 Santa Clara on Sunday, Oct. 15. The first kick is set for 1 p.m. at Tari Frahm Rokus Field.