{{ article.title }}

WCC Women's Soccer Recaps - 10/20

Oct. 20, 2006

LMU - 1
San Francisco - 0

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. - Tana Smothermon blasted the LMU women's soccer team to a 1-0 win over San Francisco this evening at Negoesco Stadium. The senior captain launched a 42 yard shot into the upper left corner with 49 seconds remaining in regulation to give the Lions the victory. LMU improves to 8-2-4 on the season, 1-1-2 in WCC action.

It was a defensive battle vs. the Dons (4-11-2, 0-3-1), and neither team managing to get too many shots off. The Lions entered the game averaging 21 shots per game in WCC play, but the Lions were held to just eight shots. USF managed just seven shots, with two on goal. Joslyn Slovek made two saves to record her fifth shutout of the year.

The game looked to be headed into overtime, but the Lions' senior captain made sure that LMU played just the standard 90 minutes. After receiving the ball near midfield, she eluded a couple defenders and decided to launch a shot from 42 yards out. The ball found the upper left corner of the net and the Lions took the lead at the 89:11 mark.

LMU held off the Dons in the final seconds to preserve the victory.

Smothermon led the Lions with three shots, all on goal. Jamie Bell added two shots for LMU. Samantha Brand had three shots for USF, and Katherine Kimure added two. Katie Hodgson made four saves in the loss.

With the win, LMU moves into fifth place in the WCC with five points. Pepperdine and Santa Clara sit at the top of the conference standings with 10 points after four games. LMU tied both the Waves and the Broncos at Sullivan Field earlier this season.

The Lions look for the weekend sweep on Sunday when they take on Saint Mary's in Moraga. The Gaels lost to Pepperdine 2-1 this afternoon.

Pepperdine - 2
Saint Mary's - 1

Malibu, Calif. - Pepperdine freshman midfielder Kelly Reilly scored in the 86th minute to break a 1-1 tie and push the No. 22 Pepperdine women's soccer team past Saint Mary's on Friday afternoon in a West Coast Conference match at Saint Mary's Stadium. The Waves improved to 9-4-3 overall to take control of the conference with a 3-0-1 record, while the Gaels fell to 3-11-2 on the season, including a 1-3-0 mark in conference.

The Waves controlled most of the action in the first half as they out-shot the home team 14-4. After shots by Lindsey Redlin, McKenzie Hill and Amanda Rupp were stopped by Gael goalkeeper Jennifer Zenovich, Pepperdine continued to challenge the defense.

Rupp took a pass from Emily Wynne and dribbled into the box where she shot from 12 yards out to put the ball into the right corner of the goal.

Trailing a score, the Gaels responded quickly as Kira Copinga headed the ball from the right side just 49 seconds into the second half. With the score knotted at one goal a piece, Saint Mary's tightened its defense and allowed only four shots.

As the clock neared zero, Rupp shot from 10 yards out as the ball was deflected off of a defender and put into the possession of Reilly, who one-timed it past Zenovich for the Wave victory.

Rupp led all players with six shots, including three shots on goal, while Redlin added five shots. Pepperdine goalkeeper Kayla Stolte tallied three saves and captured her ninth win of the season.

"Rupp scored a great first-half goal off a [Emily] Wynne pass," commented head coach Tim Ward. "Rupp has been working extremely hard and she really deserved that goal. Overall, the team is playing with so much character; battling through every match and every opportunity. They believe they can win each game and that desire to win really came through today," Ward continued.

The Waves continue conference play on the road as they face San Francisco on Sunday in a 1 p.m. match.