{{ article.title }}

Women's Soccer Falls in Overtime to Lions, 2-1

Oct. 26, 2007

Box Score

LOS ANGELES, CA - Lily Sorentino's 35-yard strike in the first overtime gave LMU a 2-1 victory over Saint Mary's in a West Coast Conference match Friday afternoon at Sullivan Field in Los Angeles. Sorentino scored the game-winning goal at the 96:32 mark. Sorentino had a goal and an assist for the Lions (10-5-1, 2-2-0 WCC), who out-shooting the Gaels (6-8-2, 0-4-0 WCC) 22-6 for the game.

Six minutes into overtime, a long clearance from the Gael defense was collected at midfield by LMU's Shannon Omahen and played wide to Brandi Young. Young turned upfield and found the feet of a wide-open Sorentino. Seeing an opening in front of her, Sorentino took off toward the goal until a defender closed her down. At that point, she ripped a 35-yard strike that flew over the goalkeeper's head and into the top right corner.

LMU's Jamie Bell also got on the scoresheet for LMU, finding the net for the third consecutive game. The entire second half was played with the Lions on the offensive, outshooting Saint Mary's 13-1 for the period. LMU also had eight corner kicks in the second half and nine for the game while SMC had zero.

Despite the Lions' offensive push, it was the Gaels who took the lead on their first offensive foray. Stefani Rocco carried the ball down the right flank, crossing into the middle of the box. Only two players were in the area and Allie Weiner beat her defender to the ball, volleying in with her left foot from six yards out in the 19th minute.

The goal by Weiner marked the sixth of the season for the sophomore. It was the first goal conceded at home by the Lions in almost 300 minutes and they found themselves trailing for the first time at home this year. Undeterred, they pushed forward, coming close to equalizing in the 25th minute but Michelle Kanama's left-footed shot from 18 yards just missed the left post.

The equalizer would come for LMU in the 27th minute on a strike by Bell. On a Lion throw-in on the left, Sorentino turned her defender and found Bell at the edge of the area. The shot was a rocket into the top left corner, going in off the cross bar. It was her team-leading seventh goal of the season and put her in sole possession of third place on the LMU career scoring charts with 15 goals.

LMU came out for the second half with a tenacity to gain the lead, putting pressure on the Gael defense. Sophomore Lacey Bartels almost grabbed the team's second when she rose for a cross but her header glanced over. Moments later, a poor clearance by SMC goalkeeper Tara Larson fell at the feet of junior Stefanie Baduria. With an open goal, Baduria's one-time shot from 25 yards sailed wide right.

The Lions had a flurry of chances in the 63rd minute but was amazed not to come away with a goal. First, junior Amanda Lernor's corner kick caromed back off the post. After the ball was cleared, it was chipped back in by sophomore Leslie Grandy. Larson mis-judged the bounce as Bartels bore down and the ball bounced over both. Bartels chased but a defender cleared for another corner. Off the subsequent corner, Bartels had another header from close range but it was just high. A minute later, Bell connected on a spectacular side volley but Larson went low to her right for the save.

LMU senior goalkeeper Joslyn Slovek made two saves while Larson was called into action for seven saves for SMC.

Saint Mary's will return to West Coast Conference action on Sunday in a road game against the Pepperdine Waves at 1 p.m.