Sept. 4, 2006
WCC PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Megan Rapinoe, University of Portland
University of Portland All-American Megan Rapinoe turned in an outstanding weekend, leading the Pilots to a pair of wins at the Nike Husky Invitational. The M.A.C. Hermann Trophy candidate opened the weekend by scoring two goals and assisting on the game-winning score in the Pilots' win over UW-Milwaukee. Rapinoe followed that performance with another two goal, one assist effort in Portland's 8-0 thrashing of Rhode Island. Rapinoe's performance earned her tournament Offensive MVP honors.
UC Santa Barbara at Loyola Marymount - 5:00 PM
7Vanderbilt at Saint Mary's - 4:30 PM
Tulsa at Pepperdine - 3:00 PM
8St. Francis at Loyola Marymount - 4:00 PM
9Santa Clara vs. Connecticut - 4:30 PM
10Cal State Northridge at San Francisco - 5:00 PM
11Baylor at Portland - 7:00 PM
12Gonzaga at Arizona - 7:30 PM
Cal State Fullerton at San Diego - 7:30 PM
7Air Force at Saint Mary's - 9:00 AM
12Gonzaga vs. Pacific - 11:00 AM
8Oklahoma St. at Loyola Marymount - 11:00 AM
9Santa Clara vs. Texas A&M - 11:30 AM $
Wisconsin at Pepperdine - 1:00 PM
Idaho at San Diego - 1:00 PM
11North Carolina at Portland - 2:30 PM
10LBSU at San Francisco - 2:30 PM
7 Saint Mary's Tournament; 8 LMU Tournament; 9 UCLA Tournament; 10 City By The Bay Classic; 11 Nike Portland Invitational; 12 Arizona Tournament; $ Televised on ESPNU
WCC TEAM NOTES
Gonzaga Bulldogs (3-0-1 / 0-0-0 WCC)
- Gonzaga extended its home undefeated streak to 10 matches with a pair of wins over the weekend, downing Birmingham-Southern, 4-0, before blanking Eastern Washington, 3-0.
- The last time the Zags suffered a loss at home was in 2004. During the past three seasons, Gonzaga has posted a 15-1-1 record at Martin Field.
- The Zags received outstanding play from a pair of freshmen over the weekend in midfielder Taylor Hall and goalkeeper Jessie Thalman. Hall paced the Bulldogs with two goals in their win over Birmingham-Southern, while Thalman improved to 3-0-1 for GU, including her second career shutout.
- The Zags travel to Tucson, AZ for the Four Points Cats' Classic where they will take on the host Wildcats (9/8) and Pacific (9/10).
Loyola Marymount (1-0-1 / 0-0-0 WCC)
- The Lions earned their first win of the season, improving to 1-0-1, with a 2-1 decision over Oregon.
- Loyola Marymount received goals from junior Jaime Bell and senior Tana Smothermon in the win over the Ducks.
- Smothermon, who is tied with Tiffany Harrison and Bell for the team lead in goals scored, was credited with the game-winner versus Oregon.
- Junior goalkeeper Joslyn Slovek, who collected five saves in the win over the Ducks, is tied for second in the conference in saves per game (5.50).
- LMU hosts UC Santa Barbara (9/5) before taking on St. Francis (9/8) and Oklahoma State (9/10) in the LMU Four Points Sheraton Culver City Tournament.
Pepperdine Waves (2-1-1 / 0-0-0 WCC)
- The Waves posted a 1-0-1 record over the weekend, tying Dayton 2-2, before shutting out Ohio State 1-0 in the Puma Classic at Tari Frahm Rokus Field.
- Emily Wynne, who was named tournament MVP, accounted for the lone goal in the Waves' win over the Buckeyes and both goals in the tie with Dayton. Wynne leads the WCC with two game-winning goals and ranks second overall in the conference in goals scored with four.
- Wynne was joined on the all-tournament team by Lindsey Redlin and Jennifer Brewer.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Kayla Stolte recorded four saves versus Ohio State to register her first career solo shutout. Stolte enters the weekend ranked third among WCC keepers in goals against average (0.56).
- The Waves host Tulsa (9/8) and Wisconsin (9/10) this weekend.
Portland Pilots (2-1-1 / 0-0-0 WCC)
- The Pilots earned their first two wins of the season, defeating UW-Milwaukee, 3-2, before blasting Rhode Island, 8-0, to claim the Husky/Nike Invitational title at Husky Soccer Field.
- Sophomore All-American Megan Rapinoe scored two goals and added an assist in both Pilot wins. For her efforts, Rapinoe was named tournament MVP.
- Freshman forward Michelle Enyeart's first career goal proved to be the game-winner versus the Panthers.
- Junior forward Natalie Budge scored three goals to record her first career hat trick in UP's win over Rhode Island.
- The Pilots host Baylor (9/8) and North Carolina (9/10) in the Nike Portland Invitational.
Saint Mary's Gaels (1-3-0 / 0-0-0 WCC)
- The Gaels had a tough week, dropping three contests. SMC battled Sacramento State but fell 1-0 in double-overtime, before suffering a 2-1 setback versus No. 15 Cal State Fullerton and a 4-2 loss to Kansas.
- Sophomore forward Nikki Schrey, a 2005 All-WCC freshmen team selection, scored her first goal of the season in the Gaels' game versus the Titans.
- Senior McKenna Belzer assisted on Schrey's goal, giving her a team-best two on the season.
- Freshman Allie Weiner added her second goal of the season versus Kansas, tying her with sophomore Danielle Spann for the team lead.
- The Gaels host Vanderbilt (9/7) and Air Force (9/9) in the SMC Fall Soccer Classic.
San Diego Toreros (3-1-0 / 0-0-0 WCC)
- The Toreros posted a 1-1-0 record on the week, falling to Ohio State, 4-1, before bouncing back to defeat Dayton, 2-1, at the Pepperdine Puma Classic.
- A pair of freshmen lifted San Diego past Dayton. Freshman Hallie Huston's first career goal gave USD a 1-0 margin, while fellow rookie Christine Mock's first collegiate goal provided the game-winner in the 82nd minute for the Toreros.
- Junior midfielder Leigh Ann Robinson, a 2005 All-WCC second team member, scored the Toreros' lone goal versus the Buckeyes. Robinson leads the Toreros and is tied for fourth in the WCC with four six points (2g, 2a).
- San Diego opens a four-game homestand by hosting Cal State Fullerton (9/8) and Idaho (9/10) this weekend.
San Francisco Dons (1-3-0 / 0-0-0 WCC)
- San Francisco posted a 1-1-0 record on the weekend, falling at Stanford, 3-0, before downing San Jose State, 3-1, at home for its first win of the season.
- Junior forward Fiona O'Sullivan had a career day as she posted a hat-trick in the win over the Spartans. O'Sullivan joins Portland's Natalie Budge as the only players in the WCC to have recorded a hat-trick so far this season. O'Sullivan's performance put her in a tie for third in the WCC in goals with three.
- Junior forward Lauren Tweet and freshman forward Samantha Brand each registered an assist in the win over San Jose State.
- The Dons host Cal State Northridge (9/8) and Long Beach State (9/10) in the City By The Bay Classic.
Santa Clara Broncos (3-1-0 / 0-0-0 WCC)
- Santa Clara shut out Harvard 3-0 before suffering its first setback of the season, dropping a 3-1 decision at No. 1 Notre Dame.
- The Broncos shut out of Harvard marked the first time SCU has opened season with three straight shutouts since the 2001 campaign.
- SCU got goals from Meagan Snell, Brittany Klein, and Elyse Shelger in the win over the Crimson.
- Snell also scored the Broncos lone goal versus the Irish. Snell, freshman Kiki Bosio and junior Chioma Igwe were named to the all-tournament team.
- The Broncos take on Connecticut (9/8) and Texas A&M (9/10) at the UCLA adidas Classic. The SCU-Texas A&M game will be televised on ESPNU.