Oct. 2, 2007
WCC PLAYER OF THE WEEK: LMU's Joslyn Slovek earns weekly honor
Loyola Marymount senior goalkeeper Joslyn Slovek was instrumental in LMU extending its winning streak to a school-record six games, posting a combined seven saves in wins over Idaho and UC Riverside. Slovek stopped four shots in a 3-1 win versus Idaho to help the Lions tie the nine-year old program record for consecutive wins at five. She followed that performance with three saves, including two spectacular diving stops in the second half, for her fifth shutout of the year in a 2-0 win over UC Riverside.
Gonzaga vs. Boise State - 3:00 PM
Loyola Marymount vs. Hawai'i - 4:00 PM
Pepperdine vs. Sacramento State - 3:00 PM
Saint Mary's at San Jose State - 3:00 PM
San Francisco vs. UC Irvine - 5:00 PM
Gonzaga at Oregon State - 7:00 PM
Portland at Oregon - 7:00 PM
San Diego vs. Cal State Bakersfield - 7:00 PM
Santa Clara at Stanford - 7:30 PM
Gonzaga at Oregon - 1:00 PM
Loyola Marymount vs. Sacramento State - 1:00 PM
Pepperdine vs. Hawai'i - 1:00 PM
Santa Clara at UCLA - 1:00 PM
San Francisco at Fresno State - 2:00 PM
San Diego at Arizona State - 4:30 PM
WCC TEAM NOTES
Gonzaga Bulldogs (6-2-1 / 0-0-0 WCC)
- The Zags extended their unbeaten streak to six straight with a 1-1 tie with Idaho State before earning a 1-0 win over UC Santa Barbara.
- The Bulldogs are one win or tie short of tying the school record for an unbeaten streak of seven games, which was set in 2005 when Gonzaga won seven straight matches.
- Senior midfielder Christine Soma recorded her second assist of the season in the Zags' tie with Idaho State. The assist propelled her into sole possession of second place on the Bulldogs' career assist ranks. Soma currently has amassed 10 career assists, five shy of the school record set by Sara Streufert (2000-97).
- Nanda McCormick's second goal of the season was the game-winner versus UCSB.
- The Zags host Boise St. (10/2) before playing at Oregon St. (10/5) and Oregon (10/7).
Loyola Marymount (6-3-1 / 0-0-0 WCC)
- The Lions defeated Idaho, 3-1, and UC Riverside, 2-0, to push their winning streak to six straight.
- The six straight wins breaks the previous program record of five consecutive victories set in 1998.
- Senior goalkeeper Joslyn Slovek made three saves versus UC Riverside to earn her league-leading fifth shutout of the season.
- Senior Jamie Bell scored her team-leading fourth goal of the season in the Lions win versus Idaho. Three of Bell's four goals have been game-winners, tying her for the league lead.
- The Lions look to extend their winning streak when they host Hawai'i (10/4) and Sacramento State (10/7) this week.
Pepperdine Waves (2-4-3 / 0-0-0 WCC)
- The Waves earned a 2-2 tie with Utah before posting a 3-1 win over Cal State Northridge to run their unbeaten streak to four matches.
- After going scoreless in their first five matches of the season, the Waves' have found their offense, scoring nine goals in their last four matches.
- Freshmen Kylie McDonald and Nicole Romanowski scored their first collegiate goals in the Waves' win over Cal State Northridge.
- Sophomore forward Courtney Price scored her team-leading third goal in the Waves' tie with the Utes.
- Pepperdine looks to extend its unbeaten streak when the Waves host Sacramento State (10/5) and Hawai'i (10/7).
Portland Pilots (7-3-0 / 0-0-0 WCC)
- The Pilots dropped a pair of hard fought 2-1 decisions on the road at No. 8 UCLA and at No. 14 USC.
- Senior Natalie Budge scored her WCC-leading fifth goal of the season in the Pilots' overtime loss at UCLA. Budge now has 30 career goals, tying her for 9th on the Pilots' all-time list with former UP standout Tara Koleski (1998-96).
- Sophomore Michelle Enyeart assisted on both Pilot goals over the weekend to give her a WCC-leading 10 assists on the season. Enyeart's 10 assists are tied for the national lead.
- Redshirt freshman Sophie Schmidt, who started for Canada's World Cup team, made her Portland debut last weekend.
- The Pilots look to rebound when they play at Oregon (10/5) this weekend.
Saint Mary's Gaels (4-4-2 / 0-0-0 WCC)
- The Gaels dropped a pair of matches to ranked Bay Area foes, falling to No. 22 Cal, 4-0, before suffering a 4-1 setback at No. 4 Stanford.
- Junior forward Mika Matsui netted her first collegiate goal in Saint Mary's loss to the Cardinal.
- Saint Mary's sophomore goalkeeper Tara Larson recorded seven saves against Cal and six saves versus Stanford. Larson ranks second in the conference in saves per game with 5.57 per match.
- Sophomore Allie Weiner and freshman Alex Ciliento are tied for the team lead and are tied for third in the league with four goals.
- The Gaels travel to San Jose State (10/5) for their lone match this weekend.
San Diego Toreros (7-1-2 / 0-0-0 WCC)
- The Toreros extended their unbeaten streak to six straight with a 1-0 win over Cal State Northridge and a 2-1 victory at Pacific.
- The Toreros jumped to No. 19 in the latest Soccer America poll after their two wins.
- Junior forward Amy Epsten scored both goals, including the game-winning goal in the Toreros' win over Pacific. Epsten is now tied for the WCC lead with five goals.
- Senior midfielder Leigh Ann Robinson scored the lone goal in the Toreros' 1-0 win over Cal State Northridge. All three of Robinson's goals this season have been game-winners as she is tied for the conference lead in game-winning strikes.
- The Toreros host Cal State Bakersfield (10/5) before traveling to Arizona State (10/7) this weekend.
San Francisco Dons (0-6-3 / 0-0-0 WCC)
- The Dons dropped a 3-1 decision to Bay Area rival Stanford, before tying Cal State Bakersfield 0-0 in their home opener.
- Sophomore forward Jenny Jarvie scored her first goal of the season in the loss to the Cardinal.
- Junior goalkeeper Katie Hodgson made four saves versus the Cardinal and collected another six in the shutout of Cal State Bakersfield. The shutout was Hodgson's second of the season.
- Junior midfielder Katherine Kimure had a match-high seven shots versus Cal State Bakersfield as the Dons out-shot the Roadrunners, 19-10.
- USF looks for its first win of the season as the Dons host UC Irvine (10/5) before traveling to Fresno State (10/7).
Santa Clara Broncos (7-1-1 / 0-0-0 WCC)
- The Broncos blanked Cal Poly, 4-0, before suffering their first loss of the season in a 2-0 setback versus No. 22 Cal.
- Sophomore Courtney Lewis scored the game-winning goal versus the Mustangs. The game-winning strike was Lewis' second of the season, tying her for fourth in the WCC.
- Senior forward Tina Estrada tallied two goals versus Cal Poly, giving her four on the season. Estrada is now tied with Lewis, and senior Brittany Klein for the team lead in goals.
- Junior goalkeeper Meagan McCray and junior Lisa Lahman helped the team post its fourth shutout of the season. McCray made four saves, while Lahman registered five saves to finish off the clean sheet.
- The Broncos play at Stanford (10/5) before traveling to UCLA (10/7) this weekend.