Jan. 24, 2007
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The University of San Diego women's tennis team (2-0) won their second straight today with a score of 5-2 against Cal State Fullerton Titans (0-3). The Toreros opened the match by winning two of the three doubles matches to gain the doubles point. USD then went on winning four of the six singles matches with wins from Monica Wiesener at No. 1 (6-2,6-1 vs. Gina Le), Helene Lindstrand at No. 2 (6-1, 6-7, and 7-6 vs. Katrina Domela), Alexandra Demidova at No. 4 (6-0, 6-1 vs. Cheyenne Inglis), and Justine Perl at No. 6 (6-4, 6-3 vs. Brandy Andrews).
Zoe Taylor at No. 3 lost to Mai-Ly Tran (2-6,2-6), and Sophie Vogt at No. 5 had to retire the match due to an injury vs. Shelly Injejikian.
The Toreros will try and improve their winning streak to three as they play No. 11 nationally ranked Cal Golden Bears on Saturday, Jan. 27th at 11:00 AM.
No. 57 SAN DIEGO def. Cal State Fullerton, 5-2
Doubles (must win 2 of 3 matches for one team point)
1. Wiesener/Taylor (USD) df. Injejikian/Inglis; 8-1
2. Tran/Le df. Vogt/Demidova (USD); 8-4
3. Perl/Lindstrand (USD) df. Domela/Andrews; 8-3
Singles (each match worth one team point)
1. Monica Wiesener (USD) df. Gina Le; 6-2, 6-1
2. Helene Lindstrand (USD) df. Katrina Domela; 6-2, 6-7, 7-6
3. Mai-Ly Tran df. Zoe Taylor (USD); 6-2, 6-2
4. Alexandra Demidova (USD) df. Cheyenne Inglis; 6-0, 6-1
5. Shelly Injejikian df. Sophie Vogt (USD) [Retired due to injury]
6. Justine Perl (USD) df. Brandy Andrews; 6-4, 6-3