Feb. 4, 2007
SPOKANE, Wash. - - Emily Anderson and Aglaya Kokurina each posted singles wins, but it wasn't enough as the Gonzaga University women's tennis team came up short against the University of Portland falling 5-2 Saturday at the Spokane Racquet Club.
The loss dropped Gonzaga to a 0-2 overall record, including a 0-1 record against West Coast Conference opponents. The Pilots improved to 4-2 overall and a 1-0 record in WCC play.
Anderson earned her first victory of the season with a straight set victory over Jenna Tanzer (6-1, 6-4) at the No. 1 position. Kokurina earned Gonzaga its second point of the afternoon when she defeated Audree Jenks (6-1, 6-4) in straight sets in the No. 5 position.
Sydney Lederhouse, Kendall Bates, Carrie Schofield and Courtney Lau also played singles matches but were unable to overcome the Pilots. Lederhouse, playing in the No. 1 position, took the opening set against Lindsey Griffin but was unable to secure the victory, falling 4-6, 6-1, 6-4. At the No. 3 Kendall Bates was defeated by Christina Feyen (6-1, 6-2), while Schofield fell to Megan Sporndli at No. 4 (6-2, 6-2). Lau rounded out singles play at the No. 6 position, falling to Anna Gullickson (6-2, 7-6(4)).
In doubles play, the Bulldogs took all three matches to tiebreakers but were unable to earn a victory. At the No. 1 position, Anderson and Bates fell to Griffin and Jenks, 9-8 (8). Humphrey and Lederhouse teamed up at the No. 2 position, but fell to Tanzer and Sporndli, 9-8 (3). Playing at the No. 3 position was Lau and Kokruina, who fell to Feyen and Kennel, 9-8 (6).
The Bulldogs will resume play on Feb. 11 when they play Albertson College in Lewiston Idaho. The match is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m.
PORTLAND 5, GONZAGA 2
1. Emily Anderson (GU) def. Jenna Tanzer (POR) 6-1, 6-4
2. Lindsey Griffin (POR) def. Sydney Lederhouse (GU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
3. Christina Feyen (POR) def. Kendall Bates (GU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Megan Sporndli (POR) def. Carrie Schofield (GU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Aglaya Kokurina (GU) def. Audree Jenks (POR) 6-1, 6-4
6. Anna Gullickson (POR) def. Courtney Lau (GU) 6-2, 7-6(4)
1., Griffin/Jenks (POR) def. Anderson/Bates (GU) 9-8 (8)
2. Tanzer/Sporndli (POR) def. Humphrey/Lederhouse (GU) 9-8 (3)
3. Feyen/Kennel (POR) def. Lau/Kokurina (GU) 9-8 (6)