Feb. 8, 2007
Fullerton, CA (Feb. 8) - The Loyola Marymount women's tennis team began the dual match portion of their schedule with a 4-1 win over Cal State Fullerton on Thursday afternoon. The match was shortened due to darkness but the Lions were on their way to sweeping the singles when the match was called.
The Lions lost the doubles point in marathon matches that pushed the match long. Tamara Tanner and Pavla Mesterova earned an 8-6 win over Mai-ly Tran and Gina Le. The other two matches in doubles went to Fullerton in extra sets.
Serena Fermin and Erin Ivey fell to Shaghig Injejikian 9-7 and newcomers Elrien de Villiers and Bliss Nixon fell in a heartbreaker at No. 3 doubles, falling 9-8 (10-8 in the tiebreaker) to Jerusha Cruz and Katrina Domela.
In the singles matches, however, the Lions took over. Senior Robyn Baker claimed a 6-2, 6-2 win over Tran at No. 2 doubles to even the overall match at 1-1. Ivey cruised at No. 4 doubles, posting a 6-0, 6-1 win over Brandy Andrews.
Nixon and de Villiers continued their solid play to open the season as de Villiers earned a 6-3, 6-4 win over Injejikian at No. 6 singles and Nixon pushed the Lions to the match win with a 5-7, 6-4, 6-0 victory at No. 5 singles.
Mesterova was up 6-4, 5-4 at No. 1 singles before darkness called the match. Also unfinished with Tanner at No. 3 singles, as she led 3-6, 6-1, 5-3.
The Lions will continue play on the road when they travel to UC Santa Barbara on Saturday.
NCAA's WOMEN'S TENNIS
Cal State Fullerton (1) vs. LMU (4)
DOUBLES (must win 2 of 3 matches for one team point)
1. Tanner/Mesterova (LMU) def. Le/Tran; 8-6
2. Injejikian/Inglis def. Fermin/Ivey (LMU); 9-7
3. Cruz/Domela def. De Villiers/Nixon (LMU); 9-8 (10-8)
SINGLES (each worth one team point)
1. Pavla Mesterova (LMU) vs. Gina Le; 6-4, 5-4 unfinished due to lighting conditions
2. Robyn Baker (LMU) def. Mai-ly Tran; 6-2, 6-2
3. Tamara Tanner (LMU) vs. Katrina Domela; 3-6, 6-1, 5-3 unfinished due to lighting conditions
4. Erin Ivey (LMU) def. Brandy Andrews; 6-0, 6-1
5. Bliss Nixon (LMU) def. Cheyenne Inglis; 5-7, 6-4, 6-0
6. Eirien de Villiers(LMU) def. Shaghig Injejikian; 6-3, 6-4
# 4 doubles: Stowel/Andrews def. Bulkley/Lunardi (LMU); 8-4
#7 singles: Audrey Bulkley (LMU) def. Jerusha Cruz; 6-2, 6-3
#8 singles: Kristy Aronstam def. Vanessa Lunardi; 5-7, 6-1 (10-4)