Feb. 16, 2007
Los Angeles, CA (Feb. 16) - In front of an impressive crowd, the No. 70 Loyola Marymount women's tennis team opened play at the LMU Tennis Center on Friday against 19th-ranked Pepperdine in a battle between West Coast Conference rivals. The Waves pulled away in a tightly contest match, defeating the Lions 6-1.
The Lions earned wins at No. 1 doubles and No. 6 singles on the day as they fall to 2-1 on the season while Pepperdine improves to 5-3.
Pavla Mesterova and Tamara Tanner remained unbeaten on the season, earning an 8-3 win over Bianca Dulgheru and Katia Sabate at No. 1 doubles. Dulgheru is ranked 21st nationally in doubles with normal partner Sylvia Kosakowski, who did not play Friday.
The doubles point came down to a tightly contested No. 2 doubles match. Erin Ivey and Serena Fermin came for three back to get within one, but fell 8-6 to Tania Rice and Anete Bandere. Jillian Braverman and Caroline Raba earned an 8-3 win over Bliss Nixon and Elrien de Villiers at No. 3 doubles. It was the first setback for Nixon and de Villiers.
In singles, freshman de Villiers earned a win at No. 6 singles. After falling 6-2 in the first set, she came back to tie the match with a 6-4 win in the second. After the match was decided, she was in a pro-set against Jillian Braverman before she retired with a sore knee.
The Lions will continue play against the top WCC rivals as they travel to San Diego to face the 56th-ranked Toreros on Sunday at 10 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Pepperdine vs Loyola Marymount
Feb 16, 2007 at Los Angeles, CA
#19 Pepperdine 6, #70 Loyola Marymount 1
1. Bianca Dulgheru (PEP) def. Pavla Mesterova (LMU) 6-4, 1-6, 4-2
2. Katia Sabate (PEP) def. Robyn Baker (LMU) 7-5, 6-1
3. Caroline Raba (PEP) def. Tamara Tanner (LMU) 6-1, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Tania Rice (PEP) def. Serena Fermin (LMU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Anete Bandere (PEP) def. Erin Ivey (LMU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Elrien de Villiers (LMU) def. Jillian Braverman (PEP) 2-6, 6-4, retired
1. Pavla Mesterova/Tamara Tanner (LMU) def. Bianca Dulgheru/Katia Sabate (PEP) 8-3
2. Tania Rice/Anete Bandere (PEP) def. Erin Ivey/Serena Fermin (LMU) 8-6
3. Jillian Braverman/Caroline Raba (PEP) def. Bliss Nixon/Elrien de Villiers (LMU) 8-3
Pepperdine 5-3; National ranking #19
Loyola Marymount 2-1; National ranking #70
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,4,3,2,6,1)
#1 Singles played abbreviated set in the third.