Feb. 16, 2007
MORAGA, Calif. - The Gonzaga University women's tennis team was unable to earn its first victory in West Coast Conference play of the season Friday, falling 7-0 to Saint Mary's College in Moraga, Calif.
With the loss, the Bulldogs fall to 2-3 overall, including 0-2 in WCC play, while the Gaels remain undefeated at 4-0, including 1-0 in WCC action.
Saint Mary's opened the afternoon by sweeping doubles play and earning the point. In the No. 1 position, Gonzaga's Kendall Bates and Emily Anderson were unable to overcome SMC's Jessica Hoath and Aude Lambert falling 8-5. Sydney Lederhouse and Erin Humphrey teamed up at the No. 2 position but fell to Femke Strijbis and Stef Ordoveza, 8-4. Rounding out play in the No. 3 position was Courtney Lau and Aglaya Kokurina, who fell to Marah Calvo and Erin Young, 8-2.
Gonzaga was unable to recover in singles play, falling in five positions and forfeiting the No. 6 spot. Playing No. 1, Anderson fell to Lambert (6-2, 6-4) while Lederhouse fell to Hoath at No. 2 (6-4, 6-2). In the No. 3 position Kokruina fell to Strijbis (6-0, 7-5) and at the No. 4 spot, Carrie Schofield was defeated by Young (6-1, 6-0). Rounding out singles play was Lau, playing in the No. 5 position, who fell to Calvo (6-0, 6-2).
The Zags will look to rebound Saturday when they continue WCC action against Santa Clara University. The match is scheduled for 10 a.m.
Saint Mary's 7, Gonzaga 0
1. Hoath/Lambert (SMC) def Bates/Anderson 8-5
2. Strijbis/Orddoveza (SMC) def Lederhouse/Humphrey 8-4
3. Calvo/Young (SMC) def Lau/Kokurina 8-2
1. Lambert (SMC) def Anderson 6-2, 6-4
2. Hoath (SMC) def Leaderhouse 6-4, 6-2
3. Strijbis (SMC) def Kokurina 6-0, 7-5
4. Young (SMC) def Schofield 6-1, 6-0
5. Calvo (SMC) def Lau 6-0, 6-2
6. Ordoveza (SMC) def GU - no player available