Feb. 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA (Feb. 27) - Loyola Marymount junior Pavla Mesterova earned a three set win over UCLA's 46th-ranked Riza Zalameda at No. 1 singles on Tuesday afternoon, 6-4, 1-6 and 6-3. The 15th-ranked Bruins, however, claimed the overall win, defeating the Lions 6-1 at the LMU Tennis Center.
Mesterova, who was ranked 51st in the preseason rankings in October, earned her biggest win of the season over Zalameda. The Czech Republic native earned a tight affair in the first set 6-4, but saw Zalameda run away in the second to send it to the third and final match. Mesterova took a 4-1 lead with two services breaks to earn the win.
The Bruins earned a three match sweep at doubles to earn the first point of the match. They then clinched the match with consecutive wins at No. 2, No. 3, No. 4 and no. 6 singles.
Along with No. 1 singles, Tamara Tanner pushed her match to three sets against Ana-Victoria Lind of UCLA. After getting swept in the opening set, Tanner won a grueling tie-break in the second to force a third set. The set was played in a pro tiebreaker as Lind won 10-5.
The Lions will be back in action against Saint Mary's on March 2 in Moraga.
UCLA vs Loyola Marymount
Feb 27, 2007 at Los Angeles, CA
#15 UCLA 6, #69 Loyola Marymount 1
1. Pavla Mesterova (LMU) def. #46 Riza Zalameda (UCLA) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
2. Ashley Joelson (UCLA) def. Robyn Baker (LMU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Alex McGoodwin (UCLA) def. Erin Ivey (LMU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Elizabeth Lumpkin (UCLA) def. Elrien de Villiers (LMU) 6-4, 6-2
5. AnaVictoria Lind (UCLA) def. Tamara Tanner (LMU) 6-0, 6-7, 10-5
6. Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA) def. Serena Fermin (LMU) 6-2, 6-3
1. Riza Zalameda/Alex McGoodwin (UCLA) def. Pavla Mesterova/Tamara Tanner (LMU) 8-4
2. Ashley Joelson/Elizabeth Lumpkin (UCLA) def. Serena Fermin/Erin Ivey (LMU) 8-3
3. AnaVictoria Lind/Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA) def. Bliss Nixon/Audrey Bulkley (LMU) 8-2
UCLA 6-4; National ranking #15
Loyola Marymount 3-3; National ranking #69
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,3,4,6,5,1)
#5 Singles played pro tiebreaker in third set.