March 5, 2006
SEATTLE, Wash. - The University of San Diego women were 2-0 this weekend in Seattle as they took a commanding 6-1 victory over the University of Washington at the Nordstrom Tennis Center Sunday. With the win, the Toreros are now 5-3 on the season, while the Huskies took their seventh consecutive loss of the season.
In doubles, San Diego edged out the competition in the No. 1 and No. 3 spots. Emma Murphy and Lauren Perl defeated Washington's 29th-ranked duo of Dinka Hadzic and Victoria Brymer by a score of 8-6 at the No. 1 spot. At No. 3 doubles, Sophia Vogt and Brittany Reitz defeated the Huskies' Stephanie Svanfeldt and Melinda Wong by a score of 8-5.
At No. 1 singles, senior Emma Murphy, who is currently ranked at No. 100 in the nation, defeated Dinka Hadzic, ranked 80th, by scores of 6-2 and 6-1. Lauren Perl took a three-set victory over Tara Simpson at the No. 2 spot and Jenny Brown clinched a 6-3, 7-5 win over UW's Victory Brymer. Brittany Reitz and Sophia Vogt also won for the Toreros at the No. 5 and No. 6 spots, respectively. Stephanie Svanfeldt had the lone victory for Washington with a 7-5, 6-1 win over USD's Helene Lindstrand at No. 4 singles.
This weekend, the Toreros host their annual USD Invitational at the USD West Tennis Courts, beginning Friday, March 10.
San Diego 6 Washington 1
1) Murphy/Perl (USD) def. #29 Hadzic/Brymer (UW), 8-6
2) Simpson/Kolbovic (UW) def. Lindstrand/Brown (USD), 8-5
3) Vogt/Reitz (USD) def. Svanfeldt/Wong (UW), 8-5
1) #100 Emma Murphy (USD) def. #80 Dinka Hadzic (UW), 6-2, 6-1
2) Lauren Perl (USD) def. Tara Simpson (UW), 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
3) Jennifer Brown (USD) def. Victoria Brymer (UW), 6-3, 7-5
4) Stephanie Svanfeldt (UW) def. Helene Lindstrand (USD), 7-5, 6-1
5) Brittany Reitz (USD) def. Melinda Wong (UW), 6-2, 6-4
6) Sophia Vogt (USD) def. Monika Kolbovic (UW), 6-2, 6-1