March 12, 2006
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The University of San Diego women's tennis team dropped their final match of the USD Invitational to the Bulls of Southern Florida by a score of 5-1. San Diego, who is currently ranked 44th in the nation, is now 6-4 overall, while the Bulls hold a season record of 8-3.
In doubles action, the Bulls swept the Torero as all three San Diego duos were defeated. The 57th-ranked pair of Emma Murphy and Lauren Perl lost to USF's Neyssa Etienne and Gabriela Dutch 8-2. Jenny Brown and Helene Lindstrand dropped their doubles match by a score of 8-6 and Brittany Reitz and Sophia Vogt were defeated by Courtney Vernon and Luisa Obando 8-4.
Senior Torero Emma Murphy was the only San Diego woman to see victory in the singles ladder. Currently ranked 44th in the nation, Murphy defeated 53rd-ranked Neyssa Etienne of USF by scores of 7-5 and 6-1 at No. 1 singles. In the No. 6 spot, Sophia Vogt claimed the first set over Luisa Obando (7-5) but the match was called after the first set.
The Toreros stay at home to face Wisconsin on Friday, March 17 in a 1:30 p.m. match at USD's West Tennis Courts. Kansas comes to town Sunday March 19 for a 10:00 a.m. match.
USD 1 USF 5
1) Etienne/Duch (USF) def. Murphy/Perl (USD) 8-2
2) Rai/Cruz (USF) def. Lindstrand/Brown (USD) 8-6
3) Vernon/Obando (USF) def. Retiz/Vogt (USD) 8-4
1) Emma Murphy (USD) def. Neyssa Etienne (USF) 7-5, 6-1
2) Courtney Vernon (USF) def. Jenny Brown (USD) 6-4, 6-4
3) Liz Cruz (USF) def. Lauren Perl (USD) 6-3, 7-5
4) Gabriela Duch (USF) Def. Helene Lindstrand (USD) 6-0, 6-3
5) Iciri Rai (USF) def. Brittany Reitz (USD) 6-1, 1-0, ret.
6) Sophia Vogt (USD) vs. Luisa Obando (USF) 7-5, DNF