March 22, 2006
Malibu, Calif. The Loyola Marymount women's tennis team traveled to Malibu, Calif. Wednesday to take on 8th-ranked Pepperdine University. The Lions pushed three of their singles matches to 10-point tiebreakers after splitting sets with 8th-ranked Waves but in the end fell 7-0. This was the Lions first conference match they have played this season. Due to injury the Lions had to compete without their No. 2 singles player Robyn Baker.
Sladjana Kos competed at the No. 2 singles position and took Pepperdine's Sylvia Kosakowski to a 10-point tiebreaker. Kos fell to Kosakowski 6-4, 7-6, 10-3. At the No. 3 singles spot Patrycia Hubl also took Pepperdine's Natalie Braverman to a 10-point tiebreaker. Braverman took the win in a close match 6-3, 3-6, 10-6. Also at the No. 4 singles spot Maja Sundac fell to Eva Dickes of Pepperdine again in a close match 4-6, 6-1, 10-5.
LMU Head Coach Jamie Sanchez commented, "We competed against one of the top teams in the nation. Kos, Hubl and Sundac all played strong matches against top competitors."
The Lions are back in action this Friday March 24th when they will take on Cornell University at the LMU Tennis Center at 1:30PM.
Pepperdine 7, Loyola Marymount 0
1. #27 Bianca Dulgheru (PEP) def. Pavla Mesterova (LMU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Sylvia Kosakowski (PEP) def. Sladjana Kos (LMU) 6-4, 7-6, 10-3
3. Natalie Braverman (PEP) def. Patrycia Hubl (LMU) 6-3, 3-6, 10-6
4. Eva Dickes (PEP) def. Maja Sundac (LMU) 4-6, 6-1, 10-5
5. Merve Asimgil (PEP) def. Erin Ivey (LMU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Lise Sissler (PEP) def. Shawnell Russell (LMU) 6-1, 6-0
1. #22 Merve Asimgil/Sylvia Kosakowski (PEP) def. Patrycia Hubl/Erin Ivey (LMU) 8-3
2. #25 Bianca Dulgheru/Eva Dickes (PEP) def. Maja Sundac/Sladjana Kos (LMU) 8-3
3. Natalie Braverman/Caroline Raba (PEP) def. Pavla Mesterova/Shawnell Russell (LMU) 8-2