March 24, 2006
Los Angeles, CA The Loyola Marymount University women's tennis team defeated Cornell today at the LMU Tennis Center at 1:30PM. The Lions took the Big Red 5-2. This win gave LMU Head Coach Jamie Sanchez his 400th win in 32 seasons of coaching women's tennis at Loyola Marymount.
The Lions stared off strong winning two of the three doubles matches putting them in an early lead over Cornell. The team of Patrycia Hubl and Erin Ivey defeated Mollie Edinson and Tamara John of Cornell 8-4. Maja Sundac and Sladjana Kos defeated Shayna Miller and Elizabeth Googe 9-7 to clinch the doubles point for the Lions.
In singles play, the Lions had solid performances with gave them the edge over Cornell. The Lions had to compete without their No. 2 singles player Robyn Baker. But LMU proved to be up to the challenge. At the No. 1 spot Pavla Mesterova defeated Mollie Edinson of Cornell 6-0, 6-1.
Sladjana Kos, Patrycia Hubl, and Maja Sundac at spots two, three and four all had a solid day. Earlier in the week when LMU competed against 8th-ranked Pepperdine Kos, Hubl and Sundac pushed their singles matches to 10-point tiebreakers. Today these three Lions continued playing competitively and came out with the win in the end. Kos defeated Kasie Preneta of Cornell after dropping the first set and then coming back for the win 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. Hubl took Cornell's Tamara John in straight sets 6-1, 6-4. Sundac also gained a win at the No. 4 spot against Nishe Sude 6-3, 6-2.
In his 32nd season coaching the women's tennis program at LMU, Head Coach Jamie Sanchez reached the 400 career win milestone. This makes Sanchez just the second coach in the history of the West Coast Conference to reach this mark. This also makes Sanchez one of the two coaches in LMU history to reach the 400-mark.
The Lions will continue action tomorrow Saturday March 25th at the LMU Tennis Center when they take on #47 San Diego. This will be the Lions second WCC match of the 2006 season.
Loyola Marymount University 5, San Diego State 2
1. Hubl/Ivey (LMU) def. Edinson/John (Cornell) 8-4
2. Sundac/Kos (LMU) def. Miller/Googe (Cornell) 9-7
3. Preneta/Wang (Cornell) def. Mesterova/Russell (LMU) 8-2
1. Pavla Mesterova def. Mollie Edinson (Cornell) 6-0, 6-1
2. Sladjana Kos (LMU) def. Kasie Preneta (Cornell) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Patricia Hubl (LMU) def. Tamara John (Cornell) 6-1, 6-4
4. Maja Sundac (LMU) def. Nisha Sude (Cornell) 6-3, 6-2
5. Catherine Duboc (Cornell) def. Erin Ivey (LMU) 7-6(10), 6-2
6. Elizabeth Googe (Cornell) def. Shawnell Russell (LMU) 6-2, 6-0