March 25, 2007
SEATTLE, Wash. - Courtney Lau posted a No. 6 singles victory Sunday at the Gonzaga University women's tennis team fell to the University of Washington 6-1 at the Nordstrom Tennis Center in Seattle.
With the loss, Gonzaga slips to 3-13, while Washington improves to 2-13 for the season.
Lau earned the No. 6 point with a straight-set win over Lauren Summers (6-2, 6-2). Emily Anderson played a close match at the No. 1 positions, falling in a closely contested match to Mathilde Cor in three-sets (6-1, 1-6, 6-4). Aglaya Kokurina fell at the No. 2 spot to Joyce Ardies (6-2, 6-0), while Sydney Lederhouse dropped a No. 3 match to Tara Simpson (6-0, 6-1). Kendall Bates was defeated at the No. 4 position by Melinda Wong (6-3, 6-4) and Carrie Schofield fell at the No. 5 spot by Allison Rainey.
The Huskies jumped out to an early 1-0 lead after singles play by earning the point after sweeping the three matches. At the top spot, Ardies and Cor downed Anderson and Bates of GU 8-2. Washington's Wong and Simpson combined at No. 2 to defeat the Zags' duo of Lederhouse and Erin Humphrey 8-2, while Lau and Schofield rounded doubles play dropping a match 8-0 to Summers and Rainey.
The Zags will be back in action Saturday March 31 when they travel to Moscow, Idaho to take on the University of Idaho.
Gonzaga (3-13) at
UW 6, Gonzaga 1
1. Ardies/Cor (UW) def. Anderson/Bates (GONZ), 8-2
2. Wong/Simspon (UW) def. Lederhouse/Erin Humphrey (GONZ), 8-2
3. Summers/Rainey (UW) def. Lau/Schofield (GONZ), 8-0
1. Mathilde Cor (UW) def. Emily Anderson (GONZ), 6-1, 1-6, 6-4
2. Joyce Ardies (UW) def. Aglaya Kokurina (GONZ), 6-2, 6-0
3. Tara Simpson (UW) def. Sydney Lederhouse (GONZ), 6-0, 6-1
4. Melinda Wong (UW) def. Kendall Bates (GONZ), 6-3, 6-4
5. Allison Rainey (UW) def. Carrie Schofield (GONZ), 6-1, 6-1
6. Courtney Lau (GONZ) def. Lauren Summers (UW), 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 3, 1, 2
Singles: 5, 3, 4, 2, 6, 1