March 29, 2006
Los Angeles, Calif. - Getting a big boost from the middle of its lineup, Loyola Marymount women's tennis defeated UC Santa Barbara 5-2 Wednesday in dual action at the LMU Tennis Center. Freshmen Sladjana Kos and Maja Sundac and senior Patryica Hubl all recorded their third straight singles wins.
Along with Erin Ivey at the No. 6 spot, Kos (No. 3), Hubl (No. 4), and Sundac (No. 5) gave the Lions the singles wins they needed to finish off the Gauchos Wednesday. The wins continued the recent trend of the strong performance from the middle of the Lions' lineup.
"The team at numbers three through six is contributing now as we head into the last part of our season," LMU Head Coach Jamie Sanchez said. "It's a turnaround from the beginning of the season when the top positions were winning, but we could not get the extra support we needed from the other spots. Now it is a great team effort."
The trio of Lions who have now won three straight were coming off their wins against opponents from 47th-ranked San Diego Sautrday. With wins today, they head into Saturday's West Coast Conference contest with Saint Mary's on the three-match streak.
Robyn Baker played in her second match back after returning from injury that kept her sidelined for a few contests.
"Robyn's presence out on the court is a boost for the team," Sanchez said. "Now we're back to having our full lineup. She is still playing her way back into `match toughness' after being out of the lineup for awhile."
Doubles play saw LMU take a 1-0 lead after the Lions won 8-4 at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots.
For the Lions, the 5-2 win came over a UCSB program that was ranked as high as 68th earlier this season.
LMU will now prepare for its WCC match against Saint Mary's. The Saturday match is scheduled for a 10:00 a.m. start and will precede the LMU men's team WCC match against Santa Clara (2:00 p.m.). The Saint Mary's women enter the match on top of the WCC standings with four conference wins.
LMU 5, UC Santa Barbara 2
1. Gruenig/Glynn (UCSB) def. Mesterova/Baker (LMU) 8-0
2. Hubl/Ivey (LMU) def. Scatliffe/Damion (UCSB) 8-4
3. Kos/Sundac (LMU) def. Kausen/Vyhnis (UCSB) 8-4
1. Marielle Gruenig (UCSB) def. Pavla Mesterova (LMU) 6-4, 7-5
2. Chelsea Glynn (UCSB) def. Robyn Baker (LMU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Sladjana Kos (LMU) def. Charlotte Scatliffe (UCSB) 6-2, 6-2
4. Patrycia Hubl (LMU) def. Leslie Damion (UCSB) 7-5, 6-4
5. Maja Sundac (LMU) def. Mio Fukushima (UCSB) 6-4, 6-3
6. Erin Ivey (LMU) def. Brittany Kausen (UCSB) 5-7, 6-2, 7-5