April 3, 2006
FRESNO, Calif. - The University of San Diego women's tennis team fell to the No. 29 Fresno State Bulldogs Sunday at Fresno's Wathen Tennis Center. With the loss, the Toreros are 9-5 on the season while Fresno State is now 10-6.
Fresno State won the doubles point with a sweep of all three spots. The No. 5 duo of Lucia Sainz and Katharina Winterhalter defeated Emma Murphy and Lauren Perl, currently ranked 57th in the nation, by a score of 8-5.
In the singles ladder, No. 42 Emma Murphy took a two-set victory over No. 19 Melanie Gloria of Fresno State. Scores went 7-5 and 6-3. With the win, Murphy, who has not lost a match since February 5 against Sacramento State at home, extends her streak to 11 matches. Torero newcomer Zoe Taylor made her debut this weekend, defeating Bruna Paes at the No. 6 spot by scores of 6-2 and 6-2.
San Diego faces crosstown rival San Diego State on Wednesday, April 19 at 2:00 pm to close out the regular season.
No. 29 Fresno State def. No. 49 San Diego, 5-2
Doubles (Fresno State wins doubles point)
1) No. 5 Sainz/Winterhalter (FS) def. No. 57 Murphy/Perl (USD), 8-5
2) Rowe/Tokarska (FS) def. Brown/Lindstrand (USD), 8-4
3) Gloria/Haskett (FS) def. Reitz/Taylor (USD), 8-1
Order of completion: 3, 2, 1
1) No. 42 Emma Murphy (USD) def. No. 19 Melanie Gloria (FS), 7-5, 6-3
2) Katharina Winterhalter (FS) def. Jennifer Brown (USD), 6-2, 6-2
3) Lucia Sainz (FS) def. Lauren Perl (USD), 6-4, 6-1
4) Jacqueline Haskett (FS) def. Helene Lindstrand (USD) 6-3, 4-6, (10-7)
5) Magdalena Tokarska (FS) def. Brittany Reitz (USD), 3-0 retired inj.
6) Zoe Taylor (USD) def. Bruna Paes (FS), 6-2, 6-2
Order of completion: 5, 3, 2, 6, 4, 1