April 9, 2006
Fresno, Calif. - The Loyola Marymount women's tennis team took on No. 21 Fresno State today. The Lions played a tough match against the Bulldogs but in the end LMU fell 6-1.
In doubles play the Lions had a huge win at the number one spot. The team of Pavla Mesterova and Robyn Baker defeated Fresno State's highly ranked team of Lucia Sainz and Katharina Winterhalter. Sainz and Winterhalter are ranked No. 6 in the nation and LMU's Mesterova and Baker gained the win 8-4.
The Lions also played a very close match at the number three singles spot where Sladjana Kos and Maja Sundac competed against No. 51 Melanie Gloria and Jacqueline Haskett. In the end Kos and Sundac fell 8-6 to the Bulldogs.
In singles play the Lions took on two ranked players at the number one and two spots. Pavla Mesterova took on 21st- ranked Melanie Gloria. Mesterova took the match to a third set tiebreaker but fell in the close match 2-6, 6-3, (10-8).
Sladjana Kos played up at the number two spot due to Robyn Baker being injured. Kos took on 96th- ranked Fresno State's Katharina Winterhalter. Kos also took the match to a third set tiebreaker but was unable to secure the win and fell in another close match 6-3, 5-7, (10-8).
Maja Sundac played at the No. 4 spot for the Lions. Sundac gained the Lions lone win over Jacqueline Haskett. Sundac gained the win when Haskett retired after the first set.
The Lions next will take on No. 39 University of Oregon on Thursday April 13th at the LMU Tennis Center at 1:30PM.-GO LIONS-
#21 Fresno State 6, Loyola Marymount 1
1. Baker/Mesterova (LMU) def. No. 6 Sainz/Winterhalter (FS), 8-4
2. Rowe/Tokarska (FS) def. Hubl/Ivey (LMU), 8-2
3. No. 51 Gloria/Haskett (FS) def. Kos/Sundac (LMU), 8-6
1. No. 21 Melanie Gloria (FS) def. Pavla Mesterova (LMU), 2-6, 6-3, (10-8)
2. No. 96 Katharina Winterhalter (FS) def. Sladjana Kos (LMU), 6-3, 5-7, (10-8)
3. Lucia Sainz (FS) def. Patrycia Hubl (LMU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Maja Sundac (LMU) def. Jacqueline Haskett (FS), 7-6, ret.
5. Magdalena Tokarska (FS) def. Erin Ivey (LMU), 6-0, 6-3
6. Bruna Paes (FS) def. Shawnell Russell (LMU), 6-0, 6-1