April 9, 2007
HOUSTON, Texas -
The Pepperdine Waves made have now won eight of their last 10 matches heading into the regular-season finale by sweeping the Rice Owls, 7-0, Monday afternoon at the
Pepperdine swept all three double's matches to take a 1-0 lead in the contest heading into single's play.
Jillian Braverman was the first of five Pepperdine athletes to win in straight sets over her Rice counterpart, 6-1, 6-1 over Emily Braid. Katia Sabate followed suit with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Christine Dao at the No. 2 position, setting up Tania Rice's match-clinching 6-1, 6-2 victory on court No. 6.
Anete Bandere won her eighth straight match and Eva Dickes won at the No. 2 position to extend the lead to 6-0. On court No. 1, Sylvia Kosakowski dropped the first set of her contest against Julie Chao, 6-1, only to take the second set 6-3 and hold on for a 12-10 victory in the superbreaker.
Pepperdine will be off for nine days before facing UCLA at 1:30 p.m. PDT on Wed., April 18 in
No. 19 Pepperdine 7, Rice 0
1. No. 29 Sylvia Kosakowski/Bianca Dulgheru (PEP) def. Julie Chao/Tiffany Lee (RICE) 8-6
2. Eva Dickes/Katia Sabate (PEP) def. Dominique Karas/Kimberley Patenaude (RICE) 8-4
3. Anete Bandere/Tania Rice (PEP) def. Emily Braid/Veronica Sagastegui (RICE) 8-3
1. No. 56 Sylvia Kosakowski (PEP) def.
(RICE) 1-6, 6-3, 1-0 (12-10)
2. No. 95 Katia Sabate (PEP) def. Christine Dao (RICE) 6-1, 6-2
3. Eva Dickes (PEP) def. Tiffany Lee (RICE) 6-2, 6-3
4. Anete Bandere (PEP) def. Dominique Karas (RICE) 6-4, 6-0
5. Jillian Braverman (PEP) def. Emily Braid (RICE) 6-1, 6-1
6. Tania Rice (PEP) def. Veronica Sagastegui (RICE) 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,2,6,4,3,1)