April 18, 2008
No. 1 Pepperdine - 4
No. 8 Santa Clara - 1
MORAGA, Calif. - The #18 Pepperdine women's tennis team advanced to the second round of the WCC Championships with a 4-1 victory over Santa Clara on Friday morning in Moraga, Calif.
Pepperdine, the #1 seed in the tournament, improved to 17-5 with the win and will now face the winner of the match between #4 San Diego and #5 Portland on Saturday at 1 p.m. The Broncos dropped to 4-16 with the loss.
Pepperdine won the doubles point for the 20th time in 21 matches this season after claiming wins in the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. Anamika Bhargava (Collierville, Tenn./Housotn HS) and Jill Braverman (Newport Beach, Calif./Corona del Mar HS) posted an 8-2 win before Tania Rice (Burlington, Ont., Canada/Robert Bateman HS) and Anete Bandere (Tukums, Latvia/Tukuma Raina Gimnazija) claimed an 8-6 win. The eighth-ranked duo of Sylvia Kosakowski (Downey, Calif./Warren HS) and Bianca Dulgheru (Bucharest, Romania/Theoretical Jean Monnet HS) did not finish their match.
In singles, Kosakowski gave Pepperdine a 2-0 lead with a 6-1, 6-0 win, Bhargava posted a 6-2, 6-3 victory and Dulgheru clinched the match victory with a 6-2, 6-2 win to give Pepperdine the 4-1 victory. Rice and Raine Mitchell (Oxnard, Calif./St. Bonaventure HS) did not finish their singles matches.
The Waves will now await the winner of the match between the Toreros and the Pilots, which was scheduled for Friday morning at 11 a.m.
2. Bhargava/Braverman (PEP) def. Davoudi/McBride (SCU), 8-2
3. Rice/Bandere (PEP) def. Hull/Pham (SCU), 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1. Sylvia Kosakowski (PEP, #87) def. Stephanie Galainena (SCU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Anamika Bhargava (PEP, #86) def. Myra Davoudi (SCU), 6-2, 6-3
3. Bianca Dulgheru (PEP) def. Lindsay McBride (SCU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Carmen Pham (SCU) def. Anete Bandere (PEP), 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1,2,4,3
No. 2 Saint Mary's - 4
No. 7 Gonzaga - 0
Moraga, CA - The No. 49 Saint Mary's women's tennis team defeated Gonzaga 4-0 in their first round match of the West Coast Conference Championships. The Gaels won the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead, and then went on to win three consecutive singles matches to clinch the victory. Due to time constraints, the three remaining singles matches were left unfinished.
In doubles action the Gaels showed their dominance, winning two matches at the No. 1 and 3 positions. At the one spot, Jessica Hoath and Nienke Strijbis bageled Gonzaga's Emily Anderson and Aglaya Kokurina, 8-0, while Alex Poorta and Claire Soper defeated Sydney Lederhouse and Clare Dodge, 8-2 at the No. 3 position. The unfinished match was not far behind, as Marah Calvo and Stef Ordoveza were winning 7-2 before the competition was abandoned.
Soper demonstrated great efficiency in singles play, by not giving up a single game, as she defeated Rika Mehndiratta 6-0, 6-0 at the three spot. The next Saint Mary's point came from senior Stef Ordoveza at the No. 5 position, as she topped Sydney Lederhouse 6-2, 6-1. Marah Calvo clinched the match for the Gaels while playing at the four spot, winning 6-1, 6-0.
The Gaels' will face the winner of the Loyola Marymount and San Francisco match in the second round of the WCC Championship, scheduled for Saturday, April 19 at 3:00 PM at the Korth Tennis Complex.
No. 4 San Diego - 4
No. 5 Portland - 1
Moraga, CA - The USD women's tennis team, the No. 4 seed in the 2008 WCC Women's Tennis Championships, won their first round match today with a 4-1 victory over No. 5 seed Portland. The Toreros will now face No. 1 seed Pepperdine, a 4-1 winner over Santa Clara today, on Saturday at 1:00 pm. USD jumped out to a 1-0 lead with doubles wins at No. 2 and No. 3. The Toreros then collected singles victories at No. 2 from Helene Lindstrand, No. 4 from Alex Demidova, and No. 5 from Tammy Kevey. All three singles wins were in straight sets - Lindstrand won 6-2, 6-4 over Lindsey Griffin; Demidova won 6-2, 6-1 over Janna Tanzer; and Kevey won 6-3, 6-1 over Anna Gullickson. The Toreros improve to 6-13 on the season.
1. Wiesner/Tamorini (USD) vs. Sporndli/Griffin (POR), DNF
2. Lindstrand/Demidova (USD) vs. Feyen/Doolittle (POR), 8-4
3. Kevey/Perl (USD) def. Gullickson/Jenks (POR), 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1. Monica Wiesener (USD) vs. Megan Sporndli (POR), DNF
2. Helene Lindstrand (USD) def. Lindsey Griffin (POR), 6-2, 6-4
3. Christie Feyen (POR) def. Carla Tamborini (USD), 7-5, 6-1
4. Alex Demidova (USD) def. Janna Tanzer, 6-2, 6-1
5. Tammy Kevey (USD) def. Anna Gullickson (POR), 6-3, 6-1
6. Ellie Faulkner (USD) vs. Stefanie Doolittle (POR), DNF
No. 6 San Francisco - 4
No. 3 Loyola Marymount - 3
Story to follow...
1. Mesterova/Tanner (LMU) vs. Heinser/Oudomvilay (USF), 7-4 DNF
3. Razloznik/Nothnagel (LMU) def. Sperry/Taylor, 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2
1. No. 73 Jenni Heinser (USF) def. No. 75 Pavla Mesterova (LMU), 6-3, 6-3
2. Mylene Martin (USF) def. Tamara Tanner (LMU), 6-3, 1-6, 6-1
3. Tina Razloznik (LMU) vs. Emma Taylor (USF), 6-3, 6-3
4. Jenny Sperry (USF) def. Jasmin Heckel (LMU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Jessy Mekpoh (USF) def. Audrey Bulkley (LMU), 6-4, 7-5
6. Caroline Nothnagel (LMU) def. Sarah Oudomvilay (USF), 6-0, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 4, 1, 2, 5