April 21, 2006
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The University of San Diego women's tennis team handed the Portland Pilots a 4-0 loss Friday afternoon on the campus of Santa Clara University in the first game of the 2006 West Coast Conference Championships. The Toreros were seeded second in the tournament with a final overall record of 9-6, while Portland came in as the seventh seed.
San Diego head coach Sherri Stephens was pleased with the outcome of the match, expressing, "I think we played well. We came out ready to play, ready to fight."
Singles were played first in lieu of doubles due to the fear of impending rain in Santa Clara. Senior Emma Murphy, currently ranked 43rd in the nation, turned in a dominant 6-0, 6-0 victory over Portland's Lindsey Griffin to continue her 12-match win streak. Jenny Brown defeated Jaclyn Soltysik by scores of 6-1 and 6-0 at the No. 2 spot while Lauren Perl turned in a 7-5, 6-3 win over Christina Feyen. Sophomore Helene Lindstrand, at the No. 4 spot, posted a solid 6-0, 6-1 win to clinch the victory for the Toreros.
With the win, San Diego advances to the semifinal round and will face either Loyola Marymount or Santa Clara Saturday at 3:00 p.m.
In other tournament action, the first seed Pepperdine defeated eighth-seeded Gonzaga 4-0 and will face St. Mary's, who defeated the University of San Francisco 4-2, in Saturday's first semifinal match. For all the latest updates, results, and scores, check www.usdtoreros.com.
No. 2 San Diego 4, No. 7 Portland 0
1. Emma Murphy (USD) def. Lindsey Griffin (POR), 6-0, 6-0
2. Jenny Brown (USD) def. Jaclyn Soltysik (POR), 6-1, 6-0
3. Lauren Perl (USD) def. Christina Feyen (POR), 7-5, 6-3
4. Helene Lindstrand (USD) def. Jenna Tanzer (POR), 6-0, 6-1
5. Zoe Taylor (USD) vs. Anna Gullikson (POR), DNF
1. Murphy/Perl (USD) vs. Griffin/Kennel (POR), DNC
2. Brown/Lindstrand (USD) vs. Tanzer/Gullikson (POR), DNC
3. Reitz/Taylor (USD) vs. Feyen/Sammis (POR), DNC