April 22, 2006
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The University of San Diego women's tennis team fell to the Lions of Loyola Marymount Saturday afternoon in the semifinal match of the WCC Championships by a score of 4-2.
The Lions clinched the doubles point with wins in the No. 1 and the No. 3 spots. LMU's Pavla Mesterova and Robyn Baker defeated the nationally-ranked duo of Emma Murphy and Lauren Perl 8-5 at No. 1 doubles. Jenny Brown and Helene Lindstrand pulled out an 8-3 win over Patrycia Hubl and Erin Ivey for San Diego's lone doubles victory.
In singles, Lauren Perl defeated Sladjana Kos at the No. 3 spot by scores of 6-4, 6-1. Helene Lindstrand, at No. 4 singles, likewise saw victory as she defeated Patrycia Hubl 6-4 and 6-0. Jenny Brown, Zoe Taylor, and Sophia Vogt dropped their matches at the No. 3, 5 and 6 spots, respectively, and Emma Murphy's No. 1 singles match went unfinished as the Lions clinched their fourth and final point before the culmination of the match.
San Diego will play for third place in the conference and take on St. Mary's Sunday at 1:00 p.m.
Loyola Marymount 4, San Diego 2
1. Pavla Mesterova (LMU) vs. Emma Murphy (USD), DNF
2. Robyn Baker (LMU) def. Jennifer Brown (USD), 7-6 (2), 6-1
3. Lauren Perl (USD) def. Sladjana Kos (LMU), 6-4, 6-1
4. Helene Lindstrand (USD) def. Patrycia Hubl (LMU) 6-4, 6-0
5. Erin Ivey (LMU) def. Zoe Taylor (USD), 6-1, 6-0
6. Shawnell Russell (LMU) def. Sophia Vogt (USD), 6-1, 6-1
1. Mesterova/Baker (LMU) def. Murphy/Perl (USD), 8-5
2. Brown/Lindstrand (USD) def. Hubl/Ivey (LMU), 8-3
3. Kos/Sundac (LMU) def. Reitz/Taylor (USD), 9-7