April 23, 2006
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The University of San Diego women's tennis team defeated St. Mary's by a score of 4-3 Sunday to claim third place in the West Coast Conference. The Toreros dropped the doubles point but came back to claim four victories in the singles ladder to clinch the victory over the Gaels.
Emma Murphy held on to her 13-match win streak with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Aude Lambert of SMC at the No. 1 spot. Jenny Brown and Lauren Perl each claimed victories at No. 2 and 3 singles respectively. Brown defeated SMC's Jessica Hoath 6-2, 6-0 and Perl took a straight-set victory over Kate Harden. Helene Lindstrand, who was victorious in all three matches this weekend, came back from a 6-7 loss in the first set to seal the win for the Toreros.
In doubles, Jenny Brown and Helene Lindstrand were the only victorious Torero duo as they defeated Feline Charlot and Kate Harden 8-3 at the No. 2 spot.
In other WCC Tournament action, Pepperdine defeated Loyola Marymount 4-0 to win their fourth consecutive WCC title. San Francisco defeated Portland 4-1 for a fifth place finish while Santa Clara and Gonzaga finished seventh and eighth in the conference.
2006 West Coast Conference Women's Tennis Championships
Degheri Tennis Center
Santa Clara, Calif.
Sunday, April 23 * 3rd/4th Place Match
San Diego 4, Saint Mary's 3
1. Emma Murphy (USD) def. Aude Lambert (SMC), 6-1, 6-3
2. Jennifer Brown (USD) def. Jessica Hoath (SMC), 6-2, 6-0
3. Lauren Perl (USD) def. Kate Harden (SMC), 6-4, 6-2
4. Helene Lindstrand (USD) def. Erin Young (SMC), 6-7 (4), 6-3, 7-5
5. Kristin Kummer (SMC) def. Zoe Taylor (USD), Default
6. Stef Ordoveza (SMC) def. Sophia Vogt (USD), Default
1. Lambert/Hoath (SMC) vs. Murphy/Perl (USD), 8-5
2. Brown/Lindstrand (USD) def. Harden/Charlot (SMC), 8-3
3. Ordoveza/Young (SMC) def. Reitz/Taylor (USD), Default