March 16, 2006
HONOLULU, Hawaii - After being postponed twice due to inclement weather in the Honolulu area, the match between the University of Portland and the University of Hawaii's women's tennis teams finally ended in a 3-3 draw.
On Monday, the dual started with the doubles point, where the Pilots had victories in all three matches. At No. 1, Lindsey Griffin and Katie Kennel had an 8-3 victory, while Laura Leoni and Jaclyn Soltysik had an 8-3 win at No. 2. Christina Feyen and Jenna Tanzer needed a tiebreaker to defeat their Rainbow Wahine opponents in the No. 3 spot.
Singles play was an entirely different story. Hawaii swept all of the top three singles matches in straight sets, but Kennel and Leoni responded with 6-2, 6-3 and 6-0, 6-4 wins in the No. 4 and No. 6 positions.
In No. 5 singles, freshman Anna Gullickson won the first set in a tiebreaker, then dropped the second set to Hawaii's Florence Wasko. With the third set at 1-0 in Wasko's favor, the match was suspended due to heavy rain. The teams tried to finish the final match on both Tuesday and Wednesday, but the Pilots' flight plans forced the match to end in a draw.
The tie moves Portland's record to 2-12-1, while Hawaii moves to 0-11-1.
The Pilots have a three-match weekend beginning on Friday against Gonzaga. They will also take on San Francisco and Saint Mary's on Saturday and Sunday in Moraga, Calif.
Portland tied Hawai`i, 3-3
Singles (each match worth one team point)
1. Kana Aikawa def. Lindsey Griffin (UP), 6-4, 6-3
2. Chloe Bihag def. Christina Feyen (UP), 7-5, 6-4
3. Samanta Cappella def. Jenna Tanzer (UP), 6-4, 6-2
4. Katie Kennel (UP) def. Julia Sandborn, 6-2, 6-3
5. Florence Wasko vs. Anna Gullickson (UP), 6-7 (4), 6-3, 1-0 (DNF)
6. Laura Leoni (UP) def. Fenja Shaw 6-0, 6-4
Doubles (must win 2 of 3 for one team point)
1. Griffin/Kennel (UP) def. Katayama/Sandborn, 8-3
2. Leoni/Jaclyn Soltysik (UP) def. Aikawa/Jacqui Williams, 8-3
3. Tanzer/Feyen (UP) def. Bihag/Wasko, 9-8 (5)