March 30, 2007
SEATTLE, Wash. - The Washington Huskies held their home court, defeating the Portland Pilots 6-1 Friday afternoon at Bill Quilian Stadium in nonconference women's tennis action. The Pilots fall to 10-8 on the season, while the Huskies improve to 3-14 overall.
The Huskies swept the doubles point with easy wins at No. 1 and No. 2. The Pilot doubles tandem of Katie Kennel and Christina Feyen forced a tie-breaker at No. 3, but fell 7-4.
Washington cruised to straight set wins in the top five singles positions. Portland's lone point was a hard-fought 7-5, 7-5 victory at No. 6 singles by freshman Audree Jenks over Lauren Summers. Jenks improved to 10-7 in dual singles matches this spring.
Portland will take a two-week hiatus before traveling to Boise, Idaho on Friday, April 13 to take on the Boise State Broncos. The Pilots will remain in Boise and face Utah State on Sunday, April 15. The West Coast Conference Championships are slated for April 20-22 in Malibu, Calif.Washington 6, Portland 1March 30, 2007 at Seattle, Wash.
1. Mathilde Cor (UW) def. Christie Feyen (UP, 6-3, 6-0
2. Joyce Ardies (UW) def. Megan Sporndli (UP), 6-0, 6-1
3. Tara Simpson (UW) def. Lindsey Griffin (UP), 6-4, 6-1
4. Melinda Wong (UW) def. Jenna Tanzer (UP), 6-3, 6-2
5. Allison Rainey (UW) def. Anna Gullickson (UP), 6-1, 6-4
6. Audree Jenks (UP) def. Lauren Summers (UW), 7-5, 7-5
1. Ardies/Cor (UW) def. Tanzer/Sporndli (UP), 8-3
2. Wong/Simspon (UW) def. Griffin/Jenks (UP), 8-2
3. Summers/Rainey (UW) def. Katie Kennel/Feyen (UP), 7-6 (4)
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 2, 1, 3
Singles: 2, 1, 3, 6, 4, 5