April 23, 2006
Pepperdine - 4
Loyola Marymount - 0
Santa Clara, Calif. - For the fourth consecutive year the Pepperdine women's tennis team claimed the West Coast Conference (WCC) Championship title as it shut out Loyola Marymount 4-0 on Sunday afternoon at the Degheri Tennis Center on the Santa Clara campus. With the win, the No. 13-nationally ranked Waves, earned an automatic bid to the NCAA Championships.
Despite defeating the Waves in the 2002 tournament final, third-seeded LMU, hot off of a semifinal win over No. 2-seed San Diego, posed little threat to No. 1-seed Pepperdine.
The Waves clinched the doubles point after getting wins from the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles teams. The No. 35 Wave duo of Bianca Dulgheru and Eva Dickes defeated Patrycia Hubl and Erin Ivey 8-2, while Natalie Braverman and Caroline Raba notched their 12th straight doubles win after handing Maja Sundac and Sladjana Kos an 8-4 defeat.
Pepperdine took a 2-0 lead after Kos retired to Raba in the second set at court two. Going 3-0 in the conference tournament, Braverman beat Hubl 6-2, 6-0 at court four, while No. 90 Eva Dickes followed with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Sundac at court five.
The Waves, who closed out one of its finest regular seasons with an overall mark of 20-3 as it heads into the postseason, will await the announcement of their NCAA regional championship schedule. The first two rounds of the national tournament are slated for May 12-14. Selections will be announced on Wednesday, May 3 on ESPNews at approximately 5:30 p.m. (PT).
THIRD PLACE MATCH
San Diego - 4
Saint Mary's - 3
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The University of San Diego women's tennis team defeated St. Mary's by a score of 4-3 Sunday to claim third place in the West Coast Conference. The Toreros dropped the doubles point but came back to claim four victories in the singles ladder to clinch the victory over the Gaels.
Emma Murphy held on to her 13-match win streak with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Aude Lambert of SMC at the No. 1 spot. Jenny Brown and Lauren Perl each claimed victories at No. 2 and 3 singles respectively. Brown defeated SMC's Jessica Hoath 6-2, 6-0 and Perl took a straight-set victory over Kate Harden. Helene Lindstrand, who was victorious in all three matches this weekend, came back from a 6-7 loss in the first set to seal the win for the Toreros.
In doubles, Jenny Brown and Helene Lindstrand were the only victorious Torero duo as they defeated Feline Charlot and Kate Harden 8-3 at the No. 2 spot.
In other WCC Tournament action, Pepperdine defeated Loyola Marymount 4-0 to win their fourth consecutive WCC title. San Francisco defeated Portland 4-1 for a fifth place finish while Santa Clara and Gonzaga finished seventh and eighth in the conference.
San Diego 4, Saint Mary's 3
1. Emma Murphy (USD) def. Aude Lambert (SMC), 6-1, 6-3
2. Jennifer Brown (USD) def. Jessica Hoath (SMC), 6-2, 6-0
3. Lauren Perl (USD) def. Kate Harden (SMC), 6-4, 6-2
4. Helene Lindstrand (USD) def. Erin Young (SMC), 6-7 (4), 6-3, 7-5
5. Kristin Kummer (SMC) def. Zoe Taylor (USD), Default
6. Stef Ordoveza (SMC) def. Sophia Vogt (USD), Default
1. Lambert/Hoath (SMC) vs. Murphy/Perl (USD), 8-5
2. Brown/Lindstrand (USD) def. Harden/Charlot (SMC), 8-3
3. Ordoveza/Young (SMC) def. Reitz/Taylor (USD), Default
FIFTH PLACE MATCH
San Francisco - 4
Portland - 1
USF defeated Portland 4-1 Sunday afternoon in the WCC Tennis Championships at Santa Clara to take fifth place. The Dons got singles wins from Pamart, Sperry and Oudomvilay to clinch the match.
After winning the singles point with wins by the teams of Amma Taylor/Jenny Sperry and Mylene Martin/Sarah Oudomvilay USF breezed by in singles.
Camille Pamart won 6-2, 6-1 at #1, Jenny Sperry won 6-3, 7-6 at number 3, and Mylene Martin won 6-1, 6-0 at the five slot.
1. Camille Pamart (USF) def. Cristin Sammis (POR), 6-1, 6-3
2. Emma Taylor (USF) vs. Lindsey Griffin (POR), DNF
3. Jenny Sperry (USF) vs. Jaclyn Soltysik (POR), 6-3, 7-6 (2)
4. Chrstina Feyen (POR) def. Joane Macedo (USF), 6-4, 0-6, 6-3
5. Mylene Martin (USF) def. Jenna Tanzer (POR), 6-1, 6-0
1. Griffin/Kennel (POR) def. Pamart/Macedo (USF), 8-2
2. Taylor/Sperry (USF) vs. Tanzer/Cristin Sammis (POR), 8-5
3. Martin/Oudomvilay (USF) vs. Feyen/Soltysik (POR), 8-5
SEVENTH PLACE MATCH
Santa Clara - 4
Gonzaga - 2
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - Junior Kim Daniel earned a hard-fought, come-from-behind victory at the number three simgles position to give the Santa Clara University women's tennis team a 4-2 win over Gonzaga in the final day of the WCC Championships at the Degheri Tennis Center.
The Broncos started the match by taking two of the three doubles sets. Casey Knutson and Stephanie Galainena earnerd an 8-6 victory over Gonzaga's Erin Humphrey and Sydney Lederhouse at the number one position, while Daniel and Myra Davoudi swept past Emily Anderson and Carrie Schofield 8-3.
In the singles portion of the match, Davoudi rolled to a 6-2, 6-0 victory at the number five position and Erica Barnes won a 6-3, 6-3 decision over Erica Modenhauer at the four spot to give SCU a 3-0 lead.
After Gonzaga's top two singles seeds, Anderson and Humphrey, earned victories, including a tough three-set battle at the number two position, Daniel earned a 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 win to clinch the victory.
1. Emily Anderson (GON) def. Casey Knutson (SCU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Erin Humphrey (GON) def. Stephanie Galainena (SCU), 6-1, 2-6, 7-6 (4)
3. *Kim Daniel (SCU) def. Sydney Lederhouse (GON), 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Erika Barnes (SCU) def. Erica Moldenhauer (GON), 6-3, 6-3
5. Myra Davoudi (SCU) def. Carrie Schofield (GON), 6-2, 6-0
6. Stephanie Herrmann (SCU) vs. Courtney Lau (GON), DNF
1. Knutson/Galainena (SCU) def. Humphrey/Lederhouse (GON), 8-6
2. Daniel/Davoudi (SCU) def. Anderson/Schofield (GON), 8-3
3. Lau/Kendall Bates (GON) def. Barnes/Herrmann (SCU), 8-6