April 27, 2013
SAN DIEGO, Calif. --- The 2013 WCC Women's Tennis Championship concluded Saturday with an exciting final match between top-seeded Saint Mary's and No. 2 Pepperdine. The Waves took the early advantage with 8-4 wins by Khunpak Issara and Megan Moore at the No. 1 doubles position and Michaela Capannolo and Ale Granillo at the No. 2 position. A competitive match between Jade Frampton/Liz Searl (SMC) and Lorraine Guillermo/Danielle Feneridis (PEP) at No. 3 doubles ended unfinished with a score of 6-6.
As the match moved to singles, Pepperdine continued to dominate with straight set wins at the No. 2 position by Khunpak Issara (6-1, 6-1) and Ale Granillo (6-4, 6-2) at No. 3. After Saint Mary's countered with first set wins at Nos. 4, 5, and 6, the deciding point came down to a back-and-forth match at No. 1 singles between Pepperdine's Lorraine Guillermo and Saint Mary's Jenny Jullien. After Guillermo claimed the first set by a score of 6-3, Jullien fought back in the second set to win 6-3, tying up the match at one set apiece. The third set proved to be a dramatic one with Guillermo earning several points with powerful down-the-line winners and Jullien skillfully placing shots to keep the match tight. Ultimately, Guillermo proved to be too much for Jullien and clinched the match with a 6-3 third set victory. Guillermo's win also clinched the team title, as Pepperdine celebrates its 23rd WCC Women's Tennis Championship.
Match #8 No. 2 Pepperdine def. No. 1 Saint Mary's 4-0
No. 2 Pepperdine def. No. 1 Saint Mary's 4-0
1. Khunpak Issara/Megan Moore (PEP) def. Jenny Jullien/Danielle Flores (SMC), 8-4
2. Michaela Capannolo/Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Cara Brown/Marta Stojanovic (USD), 8-4
3. Jade Frampton/Liz Searl (SMC) vs Lorraine Guillermo/Danielle Feneridis (PEP), 6-6 (DNF)
Order of Finish: 1, 2
1. Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Jenny Jullien (SMC), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
2. Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. Catherine Isip (SMC), 6-1, 6-1
3. Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Danielle Flores (SMC), 6-4, 6-2
4. Jade Frampton (SMC) led Megan Moore (PEP), 7-6 (8), 5-5 (DNF)
5. Catherine Leduc (SMC) led Michaela Capannolo (PEP), 7-5, 4-6, 2-1 (DNF)
6. Audrey Leitz (SMC) led Danielle Feneridis (PEP), 7-6 (4), 4-2 (DNF)
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1