(Courtesy of Pepperdine Media Relations)
PALO ALTO, Calif. - The #19 Pepperdine women's tennis team fended off an upset bid by #43 Auburn in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, winning 4-2 on Friday afternoon at the Taube Tennis Center. The Tigers won the doubles point, but the Waves bounced back with an impressive showing in singles play.
Pepperdine, making its 32nd appearance at the NCAA Tournament and 28th straight, fell into an early hole after dropping the doubles point. The Waves regrouped in singles to take the victory and advance to the second round for the 13th time in the last 17 seasons.
Apichaya Runglerdkriangkrai (Bangkok, Thailand/IMG Academy) scored Pepperdine's first point of the day, dispatching Reka Muller in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. Christine Maddox (Santa Monica, Calif./Santa Monica HS) followed suit, scoring a 6-4, 6-1 decision over Jen Pfeifler.
Auburn was able to tie the dual at 2-2, but Laura Gulbe (Riga, Latvia/Murjāņu Sporta Ģimnāzija) gave the Waves the lead once and for all with a 6-4, 6-2 triumph at No. 2 vs. Emily Flickinger.
From there, it was a race to clinch between Lorraine Guillermo (Walnut, Calif./Rowland HS) and Michaela Capannolo (Melbourne, Australia/Genazzano FCJ College), who were both enjoying third set leads when Gulbe scored Pepperdine's third point of the afternoon.
Capannolo reached the finish line first, outlasting Paula de Man 7-5, 0-6, 6-1 to put the Waves out of reach. Guillermo was ahead 5-2 in the third when action was abandoned.
Pepperdine continues action at the NCAA Tournament on Saturday, May 9 in the second round. The Waves will face either #14 Stanford or Stony Brook at 1 p.m. Live scores and video will be available here.
#19 Pepperdine 4, #43 Auburn 2
1. #9 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) vs. #71 Pleun Burgmans (AU) 6-3, 6-7, 5-2, unfinished
2. Laura Gulbe (PEP) def. Emily Flickinger (AU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Andie Dikosavljevic (AU) def. Matea Cutura (PEP) 6-2, 6-3
4. #81 A.Runglerdkriangkrai (PEP) def. Reka Muller (AU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Paula de Man (AU) 7-5, 0-6, 6-1
6. Christine Maddox (PEP) def. Jen Pfeifler (AU) 6-4, 6-1
1. #8 Pleun Burgmans/Emily Flickinger (AU) def. #23 Christine Maddox/Matea Cutura (PEP) 8-3
2. Lorraine Guillermo/A.Runglerdkriangkrai (PEP) def. Michala Kucharova/Paula de Man (AU) 8-5
3. Reka Muller/Jen Pfeifler (AU) def. Michaela Capannolo/Danielle Feneridis (PEP) 8-5
Auburn 16-14; National ranking #43
Pepperdine 18-6; National ranking #19
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,6,3,2,5)