(Courtesy of Pepperdine Media Relations)
PALO ALTO, Calif.- Ranked No. 19 Pepperdine women's tennis team fell to No. 14 Stanford, 4-1, in the second round of the NCAA Tournament today at the Taube Tennis Center. The Waves conclude the team portion of the season with an 18-7 record.
Pepperdine, under the direction of first-year coach Per Nilsson, made its 32nd appearance at the NCAA Tournament in 2015. The Waves have not missed the tournament in 28 consecutive years, dating back to 1988.
Lorraine Guillermo (Walnut, Calif./Rowland HS), as well as doubles pair Christine Maddox (Santa Monica, Calif./Santa Monica HS) and Matea Cutura (Zagreb, Croatia/Gimnazija Birotehnika/DePaul), will continue the year and represent Pepperdine at the NCAA Singles & Doubles Championships on May 20-25 in Waco, Texas.
Top-16 seeded Stanford, who hosted this weekend's first and second rounds, prevailed over the Waves for the second time this year at home. The Cardinal moves on in the championships behind a 17-5 record.
With two top-10 ranked doubles pairs in its lineup, Stanford stuck first and won the doubles point. Danielle Feneridis (Auckland, New Zealand/Westlake Girls HS) and Michaela Capannolo (Melbourne, Australia/Genazzano FCJ College) were ahead 7-5 at No. 3 when action was abandoned, but the Cardinal took care of business at No. 1 and No. 2.
Stanford continued to push forward in singles with straight-set decisions at No. 4 and No. 5. Maddox scored a point for the Waves with a 6-2, 6-2 triumph at No. 6 vs. Lindsey Kostas, but #2-ranked Carol Zhao scored the dual-clinching fourth point to put an end to the day.
Guillermo, up to #9 in the ITA singles rankings, enters the NCAA Singles Championship with a 2014-15 record of 30-6. Maddox and Cutura, listed at #23 in doubles, boast a 14-3 record.
No. 14 Stanford 4, #19 Pepperdine 1
1. #2 Carol Zhao (STAN) def. #9 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) 7-5, 6-3
2. #19 Taylor Davidson (STAN) vs. Laura Gulbe (PEP) 6-3, 4-5, unfinished
3. #25 Caroline Doyle (STAN) vs. Matea Cutura (PEP) 6-3, 4-6, unfinished
4. #92 Krista Hardebeck (STAN) def. #81 A.Runglerdkriangkrai (PEP) 6-1, 6-4
5. #106 Ellen Tsay (STAN) def. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) 6-4, 6-1
6. Christine Maddox (PEP) def. Lindsey Kostas (STAN) 6-2, 6-2
1. #2 Carol Zhao/Taylor Davidson (STAN) def. #23 Matea Cutura/Christine Maddox (PEP) 8-2
2. #10 Caroline Doyle/Ellen Tsay (STAN) def. Lorraine Guillermo/A.Runglerdkriangkrai (PEP) 8-5
3. Krista Hardebeck/Paulette Wolak (STAN) vs. Danielle Feneridis/Michaela Capannolo (PEP) 5-7, unfinished
Pepperdine 18-7; National ranking No. 19
Stanford 17-5; National ranking No. 14
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (4,6,5,1)