May 10, 2008
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The No. 18 Pepperdine women's tennis team ended its season on Saturday with a 4-0 loss to No. 10 University of Southern California in the second round of the NCAA Division I Women's Tennis Tournament, at Mark's Stadium.
"We won the doubles point here earlier in the season and fully expected to win it again," said head coach Gualberto Escudero. "If we won that, we'd still be playing because they won three singles and it looked like we might win three."
The Waves (20-5) lost the doubles point for only the second time this season. Lindsey Nelson and Lyndsay Kinstler (USC) defeated Jill Braverman (Newport Beach, Calif. / Corona del Mar HS) and Anamika Bhargava (Collinsville, Tenn. / Houston HS) on the No. 2 court, 8-3. Shortly after, Pepperdine's No. 3 team of Anete Bandere (Tukums, Latavia) and Alex Liles (Largo, Fla. / Saddlebrook Prep) suffered a loss to USC's Cristala Andrews and Maria Sanchez.
Entering the singles competition down by one, Braverman lost the first singles match to Sanchez, 6-2, 6-2, on the No. 5 court. The Trojans followed with victories by Gabriella Niculescu over Bhargava, 6-2, 6-2, on the court No. 3 and Amanda Fink over Silvia Kosakowski (Downey,Calif. / Warren HS) 6-0, 6-3, on court No. 1.
The Waves doubles team of Kosakowsi/Dulgerhu was selected to play in the NCAA Division I Doubles Tournament, on May 15-19, in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Pepperdine vs. USC
May 10, 2008
Pepperdine 0, USC 4
1. No. 6 Amanda Fink (USC) def. No. 84 Sylvia Kosakowski (PEP) 6-0, 6-3
2. Anamika Bhargava (PEP) vs. No. 57 Lindsey Nelson (USC) 6-2, 4-1 uf
3. Gabriela Niculescu (USC) def. Bianca Dulgerhu (PEP) 6-2, 6-2
4. Anete Bandere (PEP) vs. Sarah Fansler (USC) 6-4, 5-3 uf
5. No. 97 Maria Sanchez (USC) def. Jill Braverman (PEP) 6-2, 6-2
6. Alex Liles (PEP) vs. Leyla Entekhabi (USC) 7-6 (5), 3-3 uf
1. No. 11 Kosakowski/Dulgheru (PEP) vs. Fink/Niculescu (USC) 6-6 uf
2. Nelson/Kinstler (USC) def. Braverman/Bhargava (PEP) 8-3
3. Andrews/Sanchez (USC) def. Bandere/Liles (PEP) 8-5