May 16, 2011
PALO ALTO, Calif. - After a first-round win yesterday against Long Beach State, the #27-ranked Pepperdine women's tennis team bowed out of the 2011 NCAA Championship Tournament after suffering a loss to #2 Stanford.
The Cardinal won by a score of 4-0 to improve to a perfect 25-0 this season and become one of 16 schools to advance to the remainder of the championships, held in Palo Alto, Calif. on May 20-24.
The Waves conclude their season with a 15-8 record, including 10 wins over ranked opponents. Just a few weeks ago, the team won its 22nd West Coast Conference Championship after defeating Loyola-Marymount, Saint Mary's and San Diego.
Stanford took the doubles point, but not without a competitive fight from the Waves. Khunpak Issara (Bangkok, Thailand/World Study Centre) and Ale Granillo (Pachuca, Mexico/Instituto Hidalgo) found themselves down 5-2 against the #3-ranked pair of Hillary Barte and Mallory Burdette, but threatened to comeback with a 3-1 run. The Waves were stuck at five games, however, as Barte and Burdette went on to win 8-5.
Ali Walters (Newport Beach, Calif./Creekside Christian HS) and Arianna Colffer (Corona, Calif./Buena Vista) went game-for-game with Stacey Tan and Carolyn McVeigh early on, but the Cardinal tandem found its stride late in the match and won 8-5.
The match on court two was suspended once the doubles point was clinched.
Stanford, who was named the bracket's top seed, won three-straight singles matches to clinch the team victory. Walters, playing in just her second singles match of the dual season, had won the first set when play was suspended.
Senior Anamika Bhargava (Collierville, Tenn./Houston HS) finished her final season with a nine-match win streak and leaves Pepperdine with a 71-48 singles record and a 84-41 doubles mark. She goes down in annuls as the only Wave to be a four-time All-WCC first team selection in both singles and doubles.
This concludes the 2010-11 season for Pepperdine.
#2 Stanford 4, #27 Pepperdine 0
1. #3 Hilary Barte (STAN) def. Arianna Colffer (PEP) 6-2, 6-1
2. #22 Mallory Burdette (STAN) vs. #122 Anamika Bhargava (PEP) 6-4, 4-2, unfinished
3. #18 Nicole Gibbs (STAN) def. Ale Granillo (PEP) 6-2, 6-3
4. #43 Stacey Tan (STAN) vs. Khunpak Issara (PEP) 7-6 (7-3), 2-0, unfinished
5. Veronica Li (STAN) def. Megan Moore (PEP) 6-1, 6-1
6. Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) vs. Ali Walters (PEP) 3-6, 2-2, unfinished
1. #3 Hilary Barte/Mallory Burdette (STAN) def. #53 Ale Granillo/Khunpak Issara (PEP) 8-5
2. Nicole Gibbs/Veronica Li (STAN) vs. Anamika Bhargava/Megan Moore (PEP) 7-3, unfinished
3. #74 Stacey Tan/Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) def. Ali Walters/Arianna Colffer (PEP) 8-5
Pepperdine 15-8; National ranking #27
Stanford 25-0; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (5,1,3)
Courtesy of Pepperdine Sports Information