{{ article.title }}

Volleyball Falls in Four Games to No. 17 Cal Poly

Sept. 8, 2007

Final Stats

Palo Alto, Ca - Saint Mary's played their final match of the Stanford Invitational against No. 17 Cal Poly, falling to the Mustangs 24-30, 30-28, 10-30, 26-30. Freshmen Megan York recorded another double-double on the season, with 17 kills and 12 digs for the Gaels. The Mustangs were led by opposite Kylie Atherstone, posting a .422 hitting percentage with 25 kills in the match.

The Gaels continued their competitive play of the weekend, challenging the Mustangs throughout game one. Saint Mary's remained close at the start of the match, tying the game four times before either team reached ten. Cal Poly would eventually steal the momentum, going on a five point run to give them an 11-6 advantage over the Gaels. Saint Mary's would battle back to put them down three, 18-21, forcing Cal Poly into their first timeout of the match. Following the timeout the Mustangs would extend their lead to 19-25, of an Atherstone kill. The Gaels would not regain the lead, losing to the Mustangs, 30-24 in the first.

Groess led the Gaels with six kills and a .333 hitting percentage in the game, while Burton went 3-of-4, with an impressive .750 hitting percentage. Saint Mary's posted a team hitting percentage of .270 in the loss. The Mustangs were led by Atherstone with seven kills on ten swings. Both teams recorded identical hitting statistics in the match, with 16 kills, six errors, and 37 attempts.

Saint Mary's increased their level of play in game three, recording five service aces and eight blocks. Payne tallied back-to-back aces, to take the lead and push the Gaels to a 12-10 advantage. York ignited on the outside; recording kills to give the Gaels 15 and 17. Gaels errors allowed the Mustangs to sneak back into the game, capturing the lead at 17-18. A hard cross-court kill by York would tie the game back at 18 apiece, but Cal Poly would answer back with an Atherstone kill. Burton would put up a wall on the outside, recording her fourth block of the match and Groess would catch fire tallying two kills late in the game, to maintain the Gaels lead. At 19 apiece Saint Mary's went on a 6-1 run, giving the Gaels their biggest lead of the game at, 25-20. Payne would come out of Cal Poly timeout to record an ace, but the Mustangs would come back with four straight points to keep the game close. Barker would stop the run with a block on the outside, giving the Gaels a 29-27 advantage. Saint Mary's would go on to win the game on a Jaeckel kill, defeating the Mustangs 30-28. York tallied six kills in the game to lead the Gaels.

The Mustangs would come out dominant in game three, going on a 7-0 run to take a 2-17 lead over the Gaels. Saint Mary's would never be able to make up the difference, falling to Cal Poly 30-10. Atherstone led the way for the Mustangs, continuing her hot streak with five kills on eight swings. The Gaels recorded four kill sin the match, to Cal Poly's 14.

The Gaels would not let down, taking a quick lead over the Mustangs at 3-2. Saint Mary's would go on a 6-1 run to expand their lead to four at 7-3. Cal Poly would not be silenced, going on a run of their own to recapture the lead with a 6-0 run to give them 9-12 advantage. The Gaels would push back to string together a run of three, tying the game at 12 a piece. Both teams would continue to trade points back and forth, with no team leading by more than two points. Payne recorded her fourth ace of the match, tying the game at 19 apiece, and York would crush two kills to give the Gales 21 and 22. Cal Poly would continue to put pressure on the Gaels, going on a five point run to put them up 26-22. Saint Mary's would never regain the lead from their, losing the game 30-26.

The Gaels return to action at home on September 13 at 7:00 P.M. against UC Santa Barbara in McKeon Pavilion.